I was so happy to see green bell peppers on sale. Of course when I got them I couldn’t think of anything I wanted to make. They sat there in the crisper drawer for a few days before I had to think of something quick before they started to get all wrinkly and stuff.
I pulled out my old recipe book that I made when I got married and there it was, a recipe for stuffed bell peppers that I got from a friends mom. I had these stuffed peppers at her house MANY years ago and thought they were pretty darn tasty so she gave me the recipe. I adapted the recipe slightly to suit my families taste.
I’m looking forward to playing around with the fillings a bit more in the future. I already have dreams of pizza stuff bell peppers and philly cheesesteak stuffed bell peppers that I know will be a hit so stay tuned for those.
|Stuffed Bell Peppers:
Easy weekday dinner, fit for company!
|The yummy filling for the stuffed green peppers|
Meaty, Cheesy Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 green bell peppers
- salted water and/or chicken broth to boil whole peppers in
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 smoked turkey dinner sausage link diced
- 1 1/2 cups rice cooked
- 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2-3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cut about ½ inch off of the top of the bell peppers and diced them up (discard the stem)
- Remove the membranes and seeds and rinse the peppers out.
- Lightly shave off the rounded bottoms if needed to make them stand sturdily.
- Bring chicken stock or salted water to a boil.
- Add the peppers and parboil for 3-4 minutes.
- When slightly tender, remove from pot and dry.
- Sprinkle the insides with salt if desired.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté diced peppers and onions in olive oil until tender.
- Add in ground turkey and minced garlic.
- Cook until ground turkey is almost done. Then drain off the fat if needed.
- Mix in smoked turkey sausage.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in cooked white rice
- Add in a can of diced tomatoes, parsley flakes, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Stir and taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Place peppers in a casserole dish.
- Stuff each bell pepper with the mixture. Pack in it tightly
- Cover with foil and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- During the last few minutes of baking, remove the foil and top the peppers with mozzarella.
- Place back into the oven uncovered until cheese has melted.
- Serve and enjoy
Feel free to play around with the meat and cheeses! I love using smoked cheese to change it up a bit!
On busy days I cheat and use minute rice, nobody ever knows.