Hot spinach artichoke dip is by far one of my favorite appetizers, well besides these hot wings and these bacon cheddar jalapeno poppers of course!! This recipe was given to me by a subscriber last year and it still remains one of my FAVORITES for spinach and artichoke dip!!
It’s so creamy, cheesy and has the perfect cream-to-spinach ratio, not to mention it’s so daggum flavorful. Y’all already know how I feel about flava!!
The saucy mixture isn’t your typical cream cheese and mayo combo. Instead it’s made with heavy whipping cream seasoned with chicken broth, hot sauce, a blend of various cheeses, fresh garlic and red onions, just to name a a few.
It’s a little more involved than your average spinach artichoke dip but I love the authentic taste of it and think it’s totally worth it.
I’ll be making this fabulous dip for my sister’s baby shower. We are both recipe whores so I know she is gonna be thrilled to add this one to her collection (and if you’re reading this Shon don’t you dare try to make it before I formally introduce you to it. I wanna be the first to bring it to a family function!!!) Yeah it’s that serious in my family!
You can get all cutesy and serve this hot spinach and artichoke dip inside of a carved out bread bowl or just place in a casserole dish or crock pot. I usually just throw it into the crock pot to keep it warm. I love this topped with fresh tomatoes or salsa on the side. #yun!!!
Watch me make this spinach artichoke dip from start to finish!
Easy Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: appetizer
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan Romano Asiago cheese (use freshly grated if possible)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (half a lemon)
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, optional
- ¼ cup sour cream
- (2) 10 oz. boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 12 oz. jar artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely chopped
- ½-1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- fresh chopped tomatoes, optional
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and garlic and cook over medium heat for about three minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in heavy whipping cream a little bit at a time.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Bring to slight boil and let it thicken up a bit.
- Stir in Parmesan Romano Asiago cheese, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt & black pepper.
- Turn off the heat.
- Stir in sour cream
- Stir in chopped artichoke hearts and thawed spinach.
- Spread mixture into a baking dish.
- Top with white cheddar cheese
- Broil until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately. Top with fresh tomatoes if desired.