Spicy Vegetable Chili
“Vegetarian chili loaded with fresh vegetables and a variety of beans! An easy vegetable chili recipe that’s full of flavor!”
Watch me make this vegetable chili from start to finish!
Isaac is on another vegetable strike. These strikes use to really worry me when I was a new mom. I’d freak out over if he was getting enough nutrients and what not. Now I just roll my eyes and say “Ok son” when he proclaims that sweet peas taste like mud with a little bit of sugar or that he no longer likes iceberg lettuce because it reminds him of wet paper (I laugh internally because he is soooo me when I was a kid)
This current vegetable strike has axed out everything but broccoli. It’s frustrating, but I’ve learned a few things over the years. Since I can no longer convince him that if he doesn’t eat vegetables poop will start coming out of his ears, aka ear wax, (Hey don’t judge me I was desperate!) I’ve resorted to another trick better know as VEGETABLE CHILI!!!
When he goes on these vegetable strikes, the best thing to do is to let him make his choice and respect it, knowing it will change. It always does. And if it’s taking too long to change I simply serve up this vegetable chili! He LOVES this vegetable chili which is totally mind blowing since it’s filled to the brim with VEGETABLES!! Kids are something else aren’t they!?
I’m not complaining though because I LOVE this vegetable chili just as much! Besides being packed with peppers, onions, sweet corn, sweet peas, celery, tomatoes and zucchini, it’s also loaded with beans!! Lots and lot of protein packing beans; Garbanzo, kidney and black beans!
You may remember a VERY similar recipe I did for vegetarian chili way back in 2011. It’s basically the same one just updated a bit and spicier. Oh and this one doesn’t contain Grillers crumbles and few other things.
Since we are expecting our first winter storm this weekend this vegetable chili should give my husband plenty of energy to shovel off that drive way! It’s so hearty and healthy. Serve it with cornbread for one cozy, comforting meal.
LET’S MAKE VEGETABLE CHILI!!!
Get the Recipe: Spicy Vegetable Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 15. oz can Tomato sauce
- 13.4 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 13.4 oz garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 13.4 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon basil
- cayenne pepper, enough to reach desired heat
- seasoning salt, if needed
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in onions, bell peppers, and celery.
- Cook until celery is slightly tender to the bite.
- Add in remaining vegetables including the tomatoes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce.
- Simmer gently until zucchini is tender to the bite.
- Add in the beans and continue simmering until beans are heated.
- Add in all of the spices, being sure to stir them in well.
- Taste the chili and add in enough cayenne pepper to reach desired heat.
- Adjust the spices to your liking but keep in mind the flavors will increase once it sits overnight.
- Season with salt if needed.
- Serve hot and top with sour cream, cheese and chives if desired.
Want to add meat? Ground turkey or ground turkey breakfast sausage works great in this. Also if you want the taste and texture of meat without actual meat I recommend Grillers crumbles soy meat.
Omg! I made this today and it was fantastic. It was absolutely delicious and flavorful.
Thank you for sharing!
Tried this recipe and my family loves it! Thanks❣️
So I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for some time now and I finally made it this morning. It was delicious!! I let my son try it and he loves it. We’re both really picky eaters. I will be using this recipe again. Thanks!
I made it, I LOVED IT!!! had some cornbread with it. Delicious
Omg!!!! Delish!!! I will make this again!
This was excellent! Another fantastic recipe. We ate this with some morning star chorizo style soy crumbles a side of skillet cornbread from this site (the one with cheddar, jalapeños and green onion). It was fabulous!!!!!