In the south, it seems everybody has their own way of making southern deviled eggs. Some swear by mustard and others say it’s a big no-no. Some say definitely use dill pickled relish while others say sweet relish is the only way to go…and I won’t even get started on what kind of mayonnaise should be used because I would surely cause a heated debate in my family…all Imma say is… DUKES BABY!!! lol
I love deviled eggs so much and I honestly don’t believe a bad basic deviled egg recipe exists! It’s all about tweaking the ingredients and proportions. Here is an easy, flavorful basic deviled egg recipe that my family enjoys. It can be easily customized and adjusted to suit your taste.
Try adding in some bacon, celery, ranch, or even some pimento cheese, believe it or not, taste delish in deviled eggs! Honey the possibilities are endless!
Just be sure to TASTE OFTEN AND ADD IN THE INGREDIENTS A LIL BIT AT A TIME UNTIL IT TASTE THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO TASTE!
Southern, Soul Food Deviled Eggs
By Divas Can Cook
- 12 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup Dukes mayonnaise
- ⅛ cup sweet relish
- ⅛ dill relish
- ¼ cup onions, finely diced
- ½-1 Tablespoon of mustard (optional)
- 1 drop of Tabasco
- ¼- 1/2 teaspoon of Old Bay or Seasoning salt or regular salt ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ - ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Step 1.) Cover eggs with lukewarm water. Add in vinegar and salt.
- Step 2.) Bring to a boil over medium heat. When eggs start to boil let them boil for 2 minutes. Then remove them from heat, cover and let sit for 11 minutes.
- Step 3.) Drain the water and rinse the eggs in cold water. Cover the eggs with cold water and top with ice cubes. Let sit for 3 minutes.
- Step 4.) Peel the eggs carefully.
- Step 5.) Slice the eggs vertically and place yolks in a large bowl. Step 6.) Mash up the yolks. Refrigerate yolks until cold
- Step 7.) Stir in the mayo, relishes, dill, onions, mustard, Tabasco, seasoning salt, black pepper, & garlic powder.
- Step 8.) Pipe the yolk mixture into the eggs. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Step 9.) Chill until cold and serve.