Southern Homemade Sweet Potato Pie Recipe ~ So Easy, So Delicious!
Yall…….I am sitting here typing up this post while eating a piece of this sweet potato pie and I am seriously wondering how the heck can a sweet potato taste this freakin good!
I’ve had a TON of homemade sweet potato pies and made plenty of recipes for them. This one is definitely giving those others a run for their money!
This sweet potato pie recipe starts with an easy homemade pie crust that is buttery & flaky.
Then comes those fresh sweet potatoes! Fresh sweet potatoes are a MUST if you want a true, authentic tasting southern sweet potato pie. The kind that makes you take a bite and then just stare at it. Yall know what I’m talking about!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe just as much as I do!
****2015 update**** I now make this pie by roasting my sweet potatoes and using my favorite pie crust recipe. I also add in a splash of lemon juice.
Get the Recipe: Southern Homemade Sweet Potato Pie Recipe ~ So Easy, So Delicious!
- The Crust, makes two pie crust
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups butter flavored shortening
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ice water
- The Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, 2 medium sweet potatoes usually does it. I always have a bit extra left
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons ginger
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Let's Make The Crust!
- In a bowl add the flour and cut in the shortening, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar & the salt.
- Mix the egg up inside the ice cold water. Pour into the crust mixture and stir until combined.
- Turn the crust mixture out onto a floured surface and gather it into a large ball. You may need to kneed it lightly just to get all the dry crumbs to incorporate into a ball.
- Divide the ball into two pieces. (Store the other ball in the refrigerator and use it for another yummy pie in the future!)
- Roll the dough out about 1/4 inch thick and then place it into a deep dish pie pan.
- Press the crust into place with your hands.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. You can brush it with egg whites to get that shiny crust if you'd like.
- To make the filling, place sweet potatoes in a large pot and fill with water just until it covers them.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 45 -50 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- When done, let cool and then remove the skin. It should peel off very easily.
- Place peeled sweet potatoes in a bowl and break it up with a fork.
- Use a mixer to mix the sweet potatoes until smooth and creamy.
- Add in butter and mix to combine.
- Add in sugars, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, and flour. Beat until mixture is smooth. It may be a little speckled, don't worry it won't be that way when it's done.
- Pour into prepared pie crust and bake for 55-60 minutes. (don't be alarmed if the pie puffs up while cooking. It will sink down)
- Let cool on the counter for about 30 minutes and then chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to fully set.
I have used many recipes from this website. The results have been wonderful. Knowing how to combine the ingredients is the key.
The filling mixture is really runny. Is this normal?
Tried this recipe minus the nutmeg and the ginger and absolutely loved it. This year for thanksgiving my mom made sweet potato pie with yams, and I was so upset lol. This is my favorite pie, and I was craving it so bad that I decided to bake it myself for the first time so that I could have two whole pies to myself (:
Sweet Potato Pie, is the Best!!
I have made.
Mom would always make a Sweet Potato Pie
For Birthday, Holidays
Seriously just like what Ma Made
Thank you for the Sweet Memories
My husband and I have been together 4 years but only married a few months. It was important to me to cook the Thanksgiving dinner this year and add elements he loved. This year I made my first EVER sweet potato pie. I do NOT like sweet potatoes. I used elements of your recipe to make mini pies for him. That brown butter was so awesome I used it in my gravy. Lol. Thanks so much for this. He loved my pie.
Made it; ate it!! ?????
Can almond milk be used in this instead of evaporated milk?