Have you been in a fish mood lately or is it just me? I swear Spring makes me crave fresh fish, especially fish tacos! I pile that flaky, tender fish onto some chewy, yet crisp baked flour tortillas and load it up with a ton of fresh toppings and I’m happy happy happy!! So good!! Pass the strawberry margarita punch!!
If you like fish tacos as well, then making these salmon tacos are a must!! A great fish taco starts with some really great fish right? For this recipe we’re using fresh salmon and drenching that bad boy in brown butter and citrus flavors!! *swoon* Brown butter is EVERYTHING! I’m obsessed with it these days. And if you’ve never had it then you’re going to be obsessed with too. It just makes everything better and pairs up GREAT with citrusy flavors.
I could eat this citrus brown butter salmon plain, but it just gets even better when you throw it in a flour tortilla shell that’s been heated in the oven so that it’s all chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside. HEAVEN!!! And then to make your tastebuds go crazy, I’m loading the salmon tacos with fresh avocado, sweet corn, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. If I had black beans I’d probably throw them in there too!! Drizzle on some of that leftover brown butter citrus sauce and baaaaaaaaaayby!!!!
These salmon tacos put me in the mood to just sit at the beach, eat tacos and drink margaritas.
Watch me make these citrus brown butter salmon tacos from start to finish!
Brown Butter Citrus Salmon
- 1.5 pounds fresh salmon fillets pat dry (I used skin on)
- 1/4 cup honey
- salt & pepper
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter chopped
- Juice of 1 lime 1 tablespoon
- Juice of 1 lemon 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon honey optional
- Zest of lemon lime and orange (optional)
- 8 flour tortillas heated in oven until crisp on outside and chewy on the inside (optional)
- lettuce shredded
- tomatoes chopped
- avocados diced
- sweet corn kernels
- red onions diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush salmon fillets generously with honey and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Place in a foil-lined pan (skin side down). Set aside.
- In a light-colored pot, over medium heat, add butter.
- Allow butter to melt, stirring often.
- When butter has melted continue to stir as the butter begins to foam and bubble slightly.
- Keep stirring or swirling the butter constantly as the butter solids begin to turn golden in color and release a fragrant aroma.
- *Remove butter from heat immediately and pour into a heatproof bowl. (brown butter can burn fast)
- Let cool.
- Stir in lime juice, orange juice, lemon juice, garlic powder, honey, salt and pepper into the brown butter.
- Pour over salmon fillets.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Turn the oven to a low broil and broil for about 2-3 minutes (watch carefully) or until salmon is flaky and tender.
- Remove from oven and shred salmon. (add citrus zest if desired)
- Place salmon in prepared tortilla shells and top with toppings.
- Drizzle on citrus brown butter sauce.