Easy, juicy, flavorful roasted pepper chicken recipe seasoned with herbs & spices and roasted with fresh red bell pepper, green bell peppers, celery, and onions.
Have I ever told you guys just what an amazing cook my grandmother is? I’m pretty sure you already know being that so many of her recipes become fan-favorites on this site. She’s a southern cook who happily shares all of her passed down recipes (something that is rare these days ya know).
Whenever I ask her for a recipe she just lights up and always starts off with, “well, it’s real simple really…” She cooks with so much love and dedication. Never anything too complicated or fancy. Just easy, home cooked meals that stay etched in your memory forever.
She invited us over for dinner some time ago and served up this roasted pepper chicken. I think it’s also called roasted fajita chicken. It was delicious. So juicy, flavorful and rustic looking. Just from the name I was expecting a very peppery chicken but it’s not at all. It’s well seasoned with flavor hints of red & green bell peppers, onions, and celery. She said it was something she just threw together and really didn’t have a recipe for it, but gave me a rough draft. I’ve tried to replicate her recipe 3 times and this is as close as I can come to grandma Barbs roasted pepper chicken.
This roasted pepper chicken makes for a downright easy, delicious and quick dinner and so versatile. I’ve made it 3 times in 1 month! If we have leftovers I shred it up and make fajitas for lunch (hubby loves this because the chicken is super flavorful the next day) or I do this mexican chicken soup recipe.
I think the beauty of this roasted pepper chicken recipe is that you can really just add any seasonings you like. It’s the essence of those red bell peppers and celery that really makes it sing. I don’t think I’ve ever roasted a chicken with red bell peppers before and had no idea how much flavor they added. Love it when I learn something new!! Those grandmothers are the best teachers!
My grandmother’s roasted pepper chicken looks much darker than mine because she uses poultry seasoning. I didn’t have any on hand so I skipped that part, but I’ve included it as an option in the recipe just in case you want to add it in. It’s still good either way.
Watch me make this Roasted Pepper Chicken from start to finish!
Baked Pepper Chicken
- 5 lb. chicken cut up
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon olive oil I used a little under a tablespoon. Use just enough to coat chicken
SPICE MIXTURE (double if you like lots of spice. )
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or plain salt can add more if you like it a tad bit salty
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning optional
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 2 red bell peppers sliced
- 4 celery stalks cut up
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- Melted butter
- Toss chicken with olive oil.
- Combine spices and sprinkle generously over chicken and under the skin.
- Cover at let sit overnight or for at least 4 hours
- Preheat oven to 425. F
- Line a casserole dish with foil.
- Spread peppers, onions and celery in an even layer in pan.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables.
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Remove from oven and spread melted butter over chicken.
- Return to oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked. (you can also broil for the last few minutes to crisp up the skin)
- Let chicken rest for a few minutes before serving.