I hope you guys never get tired of chicken recipes because I have a ton of them and plan on sharing every last one! I truly believe you can never have too many easy, quick and delicious chicken recipes. Amen sister?
These roasted honey mustard BBQ chicken thighs are on repeat these days. The kids love this recipe. Isaac says the honey mustard sauce tastes like Chick-Fi-la and that’s why he likes it so much. Hmm…I think it tastes way better but whatevs!!
These chicken thighs are sticky, messy, saucy, and literally finger licking good!! You already know what you’re getting into by combining a smokey BBQ sauce with creamy, tart and slightly sweet homemade honey mustard sauce right? A flavor explosion I tell ya!
We started off eating these roasted honey mustard BBQ chicken thighs (whew long title!) the polite way with a fork and knife but by the end of the meal we were all picking chicken off the bone with our fingers, licking them clean and slathering on more sauce. There was no shame at that table.
Roasting the chicken thighs really does create the best flavor…. and that sauce!!! So good!
I’ve made the honey mustard sauce before when I posted the homemade chicken nuggets. It really is an incredible honey mustard sauce and I always find myself going back to that recipe.
“Can I use boneless, skinless chicken breast?” you ask? Well the answer is simple, “No”. You’re probably gonna do it anyway aren’t you? Here’s why I say no. Chicken thighs are epic in this recipe. They are flavorful and very forgiving. Even if you accidentally overbake them a little they still come out super juicy! And man does that thigh meat really soak up the sauces!
If you must use chicken breast, try using the bone-in kind (with skin). This sauce needs something to cling to and the juices from the well seasoned skin just sink down into the chicken creating something….. amazing!
Watch me make this Roasted Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken Thighs from start to finish!
Roasted Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken Thighs
- 1.5 lbs bone-in chicken thighs about 5 medium thighs, completely dry
- 2 tablespoons unsatled butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup smokey BBQ Sauce I used Sweet Baby Ray's
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine butter and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Brush chicken thighs lightly with olive oil & butter mixture.
- Combine salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Season chicken generously on both sides with seasoning mixture.
- Place chicken on a roasting pan.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with BBQ sauce.
- Return to oven and roast for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare honey mustard by combining mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard and honey. (note: This sauce gets better when it has had a chance to sit for at least 30 minutes so make ahead if possible)
- Remove chicken from oven and brush with honey mustard sauce.
- Return to oven and broil until chicken is done, skin is crisp and sauce is sticky, about 10-15 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Brush on additional honey mustard if desired.
- Garnish with parsley flakes.