Roasted Butternut Squash Soup w/ Chicken Meatballs
If you had told me 5 years ago that I would be a lover of butternut squash soup, I would have laughed…hysterically. I am not a fan of butternut squash. Point. Blank. Period.
Don’t get me wrong, I do want to be a fan. I’ve read about the health benefits, and I’ve tried a lot of butternut squash dishes.
I hated them all. That is until I tasted this roasted butternut squash soup with chicken meatballs! Turns out, I am a huge fan of ROASTED butternut squash! Bingo! Roasting is the
The soup is fantastic by itself, but the chicken meatballs really add that special, hearty touch. The key is all in the roasting for me. It really changes the taste of butternut squash and brings out all of that sweet, rustic goodness. It should be a culinary rule that butternut squash soup can only be made from roasted butternut squash. Boiling the squash just doesn’t do it justice.
This roasted butternut squash soup is velvety smooth, with a very light natural sweetness. The chicken broth, garlic, onions, and heavy cream make it savory, comforting and surprisingly very filling. They enhance the flavor of the roasted squash without covering it up. The tender chicken meatballs are full of spices and herbs that just pair so well with this soup.
It makes a beautiful meal or a starter soup before a meal.
Watch me make this roasted butternut squash soup from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup w/ Chicken Meatballs
- 3 1/2 lb butternut squash, 4 cups roasted
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tablespoon fresh minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain panko
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole thyme
- 2 tablespoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place butternut squash on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Baked for 60-80 minutes or until squash is tender to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out and discard the seeds.
- Scoop out 4 cups of the flesh and place into a blender.
- Add chicken broth to the blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic (in butter) in a large pot over medium heat until tender.
- Add in the squash mixture, heavy cream, black pepper, salt and sage.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place the soup into the blender and puree until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot and heat until hot again.
- Serve plain or with chicken meatballs.
- To make the chicken meatballs preheat oven to 400.
- Add all of the meatball ingredients into a large bowl and mix well with your hands or a spoon.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Wet your hands and shape the meat mixture into 9-12 uniform sized balls.
- Place into the refrigerator until cold.
- Bake for 20 minutes (timing may vary based on the size of your meatballs)
- Serve meatballs with soup.
Make it a meal! Serve with a garden salad and french bread.
Use the "soup" option on your blender. It makes it so smooth!
Season to your preference to enhance the natural flavors of the squash.
Great recipe. I enjoyed very much. I think I overdid it a little on the seasoning but still very good. Love your website!
I tried this recipe before the holiday and it was delicious. Funny thing is I would always walk past butternut squash in the supermarket, look pensively, and walk away. It just looked too difficult to deal with – ha! Then I saw our YouTube clip and figured I’d give it a shot. Best decision ever. I told all my friends about on Instagram that you have the best recipes ever and I meant it. Thanks so much!
I am on a journey to eat healthy so I decided to try this. This was a nice dish. The creamy, thick yet “fluffy” texture was foreign to my palate. Certainly not a bad dish and I might try it again given it’s very healthy. I paired it with chicken meatballs and stuffed jalapenos which were tasty. Another practical and easy recipe. Luv ya chica!
I made this and even my BOYFRIEND loved it! Every time I said butternut squash he cringed and then tasted this dish and asked for seconds! Yassssss!!!!!
Made this for my father the other day and it was very tasty. He gobbled it up! I made it a second time and added yellow curry, nutmeg, cinnamon, and honey. It was the bomb. Thanks so much for teaching me!
I love your recipes and have tried the cabbage soup. It turned out really well and we enjoyed it tremendously.
Is it possible to adjust the sound on your videos so that your voice is a bit louder. I have to strain to hear what you are saying. To watch your videos are invaluable in trying to duplicate that which you have done so fabulously!