Roast Beef and Cheddar Sliders
How to Make Roast Beef and Cheddar Sliders
Visual leaner? Here’s the video recipe step by step!
Confession time: My name is Monique….and I like gas station food. *hangs head in shame, but not willing to change*
My husband is pretty much obsessed with our local Quick Trip (QT). He marvels at the clean bathrooms and wide array of food selections. The fact that he can order food from his phone makes him a loyal customer.
He’s always bringing home QT egg and cheese croissants, pizza, buffalo chicken sandwiches, or muffins. He’s even created his own specialty latte using the large variety of coffee and flavored creamers they provide.
For the longest, I’d say “Uggh no thanks” when he’d offer me some. Gas station food just sounds like food poisoning waiting to happen if ya ask me!
That all changed one day when we were traveling, and I was pregnant and hangry. QT was the only thing around, so I went for it! Since that day, I’ve been secretly in-love with QT foods. *gasp* I know….I can’t explain it. Those freakin hot doughnuts and seasonal red velvet muffins, omg so good!! And don’t even get me started on that $1 chocolate turtle milkshake they offer in the summer time.
After trying their roast beef and cheddar with that smoked cheddar cheese and then Firehouse Subs version with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, it was only natural to bring these two together!!
Hey, I never thought I’d be inspired by gas station food, yet here we are! God works in mysterious ways, my friend!
Today we’re making Roast Beef & Cheddar sliders that are so delicious!! These little guys come together so quickly and are perfect for parties! Not to mention they are pretty darn filling!!
These sliders start with potato slider buns. I usually go for Hawaiian Sweet Rolls, but I like to use potato buns for these roast beef and cheddar sliders. These buns aren’t as squishy and can really stand up to all that beef, butter and finger-licking bbq sauce.
The BBQ Sauce
You can certainly use your favorite BBQ sauce, but I’m using Original Sweet Baby Ray’s like Firehouse Sub uses. The sweet and tangy flavor goes so well with that smoked cheddar cheese and savory roast beef.
The Roast Beef
Speaking of roast beef, if you can, go for freshly, thinly shaved deli roast beef. The best quality will make for the best roast beef and cheddar sliders! However, I’ve totally gotten away with the prepackaged lunch meat roast beef, and they were still gobbled down! Just make sure it is thinly sliced. If you want them to look extra beefy like the photo above, go with 4 slices per roll instead of 2! The photo right below this has 2 slices, just in case you need a visual. You’re winning either way!
Any cheddar cheese slices will do for these sliders from mild to sharp! I always used smoked cheddar because I love it so much! I bet these would even be good with a little smoked gouda or smoked provolone as well. Yum!
The Poppy Butter Topping for Beef and Cheddar Sliders
After you assemble these roast beef and cheddar sliders, it’s time to drench them in this tangy poppy butter. This butter will soak in and make these sliders downright irresistible.
And that’s it! You now have a tray of fantastic little sliders that can be prepared during half-time!!
Tips for making the BEST Roast Beef and Cheddar Sliders
Thankfully these sliders are pretty straight forward. After your first time making them you probably won’t even need the recipe. However, here are few tips to ensure your sliders comes out perfect!
- Use your favorite BBQ sauce. I recommend Sweet Baby Rays (original) for this particular recipe, but any sweet and smokey BBQ sauce or one that you REALLY love will work beautifully. If you like your sliders to have a little more sauce feel free to add more BBQ sauce.
- Let the butter soak in. Once you brush the sliders with the butter mixture let them sit for a few minutes so the buns have a chance to really absorb that flavorful butter before placing them in the oven.
- Remove the foil once the cheese has melted. When baking, the foil paper is used to keep the buns from browning to much while allowing the cheese to melt. Once the cheese has melted remove the foil so the buns get golden and toasted.
Get the Recipe: Roast Beef & Cheddar Sliders
- 12 slider buns, (I used potato buns)
- 12 slices smoked cheddar cheese
- 2 (7 oz) packs thinly sliced roast beef, (24 slices) *see note*
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, (I use Original Sweet Baby Rays)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
Tangy Poppy Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Separate the buns, placing the bottoms on the baking sheet.
- Cut each slice of cheese into 4ths and place two pieces on each bun. (set aside remaining cheese)
- In a large bowl add the BBQ sauce.
- Separate the roast beef and add the slices into the bowl. Toss gently with your hands, making sure each slice is coated in the BBQ sauce.
- Arrange 2 pieces of meat on top of each bun in a mound.
- Place two more slices of cheese on top.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on the underside of the top buns and then place on top.
- To make the tangy poppy butter, combine all tangy poppy butter ingredients into a large bowl, stirring until well combined.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the butter generously all over the top and sides of the buns.
- Let sliders sit for about 5-10 minutes to soak up the butter.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Uncover, and bake for another 5-7 minutes or until the buns are toasted.
- Serve immediately.
These look amazing! Can I make a batch of these, place them in the freezer, then bake them later?
OMG! These were a hit for SuperBowl Sunday.
We have 7 people in our home (old & young) and everyone loved them ,we had them today for Super Bowl Sunday. Hubby kept saying they were “AWESOME”. I didn’t change a thing.
This was AMAZING!!! You have saved my nights once again! My family loved this . Thank You Thank You for this super easy super delicious recipe.
So happy you enjoyed them!