Peanut Butter Cake w/ Whipped Peanut Butter Frosting
I don’t know to many things that are as comforting as a slice of this fluffy, moist peanut butter cake with whipped peanut butter frosting. Pair it up with a glass of milk or coffee and all is well with the world.
My hubby and I have been in a cake mood all week. He said to me “I want something fluffy and fattening”. (This is our code for cake!) He’s married to the right chick because fluffy and fattening are my drugs of choice. FYI: I don’t recommend to foodies getting married unless one can balance out the other. Normally we do pretty well with making sure the other isn’t indulging too much but sometimes we just can’t resist.
That was the case this week. Oh you want fluffy and fattening mister? Coming up!!! Meet Miss Peanut Butter Cake!! I’ve only made this cake one other time and that was a many years ago. I had forgotten all about it, what a shame! I love peanut butter but I wouldn’t say I’m a die hard fan of it like some folks I know.
What I love about this cake besides it being so moist and fluffy is that the peanut butter taste of the cake is very light and the cake is lightly sweetened. It’s that heavenly peanut butter frosting that really packs on the peanut butter kick. The two compliment each very well without being overpowering. It’s the perfect balance so don’t skip that frosting it takes the cake to the level it is suppose to be at. They need each other, otherwise the cake alone is kinda, just ok flavor wise, in my opinion.
Feel free to frost the cake how you like, drizzle it on, pour it on, spread it on, whatev’s. Just get it on there! You can make it prettier by sprinkling on some peanuts or peanut butter chip morsels or even drizzling it with a bit of melted chocolate for some contrast.
Watch me make this peanut butter cake w/ whipped peanut butter frosting from start to finish!!
NOTE: This is NOT an intensely rich sweet peanut butter cake. It’s very lightly sweetened with a delicate peanut butter flavor and could pass for a breakfast cake.
Get the Recipe: Peanut Butter Bundt Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 Tablespoons), melted
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup plain coffee
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
FROSTING (see note)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, may need more
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Preheat over to 350 F.
- Generously grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together butter, peanut butter and coffee until well combined and creamy.
- Beat in sugars, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour and sprinkle baking soda and salt evenly over the mixture.
- Add buttermilk.
- Mix just until flour is well-combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and let cool completely.
- Make the frosting by mixing together all frosting ingredients.
- Add additional heavy cream by the spoonful until you reach your desired consistency (depends on how you plan to frost the cake. Less heavy cream makes a thicker frosting great for spreading, more heavy cream makes a thinner frosting which is good for pouring or drizzling)
- Place the cake in the fridge to harden up the frosting if desired.
- Serve at room temperature.