Oven Fried Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
“Oven fried chicken drumsticks that bake up crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside!”
You can NEVER have to many chicken recipes!
If Isaac had control over what was for dinner every night, he’d hands down choose chicken legs! He likes them any way I prepare them, but these oven fried chicken drumsticks are definitely one of his favorites.
I love the fact that I don’t have to fry them and they still bake up crispy, crunchy on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. I get my free chicken fix without all the hot, popping, smelly grease. Did I mention how juicy this chicken is? Sweet Jesus these things are soooo doggone juicy!
Be sure to use a good organic brand of chicken. You really CAN tell the diffence in taste and texture.
These oven fried chicken drumsticks are so easy to make y’all like for real!! I’m kinda obsessed with using crushed croutons ever since I used them with my homemade chicken nuggets. They really make my life easier and it’s so easy to switch up the flavor.
The buttermilk ranch croutons taste great with this chicken as well. Forget the panko or plain flour, trust me, crushed seasoned croutons are the way to go sister! But if you’re just dying for a traditional oven fried chicken recipe that uses only flour, try out my easy oven fried chicken recipe here.
I use organic whole grain seasoned croutons today but you can really use any flavor, but make sure they aren’t unseasoned. Bor-riiiing! Since the croutons are seasoned so well you really can skimp on seasonings up the chicken. I use a cajun seasoning (Old Bay) and call it a day!
As far as side dishes to go with these easy, oven fried chicken drumsticks? They go with just about anything! We like them with rice and gravy and buttered sweet peas. Last week I served them with roasted sweet potatoes, cabbage and cornbread. They are also fabulous with mash potatoes and green beans.
Don’t forget the sweet tea!! Any type of fried chicken MUST have a frosty glass of sweet tea to accompany it!
Watch me make these oven fried chicken drumsticks from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Oven Fried Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- 3.5 lbs fresh chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons salted cajun seasoning, I use Old Bay
- Liquid smoke
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 5 oz bags seasoned croutons, crushed (I crushed them in food processor)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, optional
- parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Grease the racks of a large grilling pan and set aside.
- Generously season chicken legs with cajun seasoning.
- Douse chicken with liquid smoke. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, mix together flour and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together eggs. Set aside.
- In another shallow dish, add crushed croutons. Set side.
- With one hand place the chicken in the flour mixture.
- With the other hand, coat the chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- Place the chicken in the egg mixture and coat with the egg.
- (Be sure to use one hand for the dry ingredients and the other for the wet ingredients to keep from clumping)
- Shake off the excess egg and then place the chicken in the croutons.
- Cover with croutons, being sure to pat them on so that they stick better.
- Place coated chicken on the grilll pan.
- Repeat until all of the chicken is coated.
- Baked for 30 minutes. (may need more or less time depending on thickness)
- *optional* Brush chicken with melted butter and sprinkle with parsley.
I used spiced panko, chicken came out moist on the inside and super spice crispy on the outside! Spectacular recipe.
Best oven fried chicken recipe I’v found to date! I did not use cornstarch or the liquid smoke, and the chicken was fantastic.
I like your recipe. I tried was very good.
Giving the link to your page, I want to publish my own blog.
I prepare your recipe in Turkish.
I would like to send the photo.
Can use the same recipe for deep frying too? ????
Why all the liquid smoke? Can you make it without this? I’m not a fan. Any suggestions for a substitution?
Absolutely wonderful!!! I made them exactly as you directed and my husband was so blown away!!! The kids said I am the best chef ever!!! I whipped them up so fast. They were great. The best I have ever made.