Watch me make this old-fashioned beef & macaroni soup from start to finish!
Member’ this soup?? You might have grown up eating it, you might still eat it or you may have never heard of it before. For me, it’s a childhood classic! It’s been years since I’ve made it and as soon as my hubby came home the other day and lifted the lid on the pot he said ” YESSSS!!! I love when you make this!”
It’s such a simple soup that consists of nothing but beef, tomatoes, macaroni, broth, and spices. Yet it is as hearty and sticks to the ribs like a boss!
We grew up calling it Poor Man’s Soup. Some folks know it by Cowboy Soup, Goulash or Beef & tomato soup. Call it what you wanna, but make it! Because it’s super easy, very kid friendly and downright delicious.
It’s the perfect rainy or snowy day meal because it seriously warms you up!
When I make this beef and macaroni soup I prefer to cook the macaroni in a separate pot and then add it to the tomato mixture. This way the macaroni is perfectly cooked! You can def. cook the pasta in the tomato-broth mixture but you’ll have a creamier finished product on your hands. I’m not a fan of the texture when it’s all cooked together. It’s like the noodles absorb too much of the soup and become soggy and the texture of the soup is thick from the creaminess the pasta gives off when it’s cooking.
Sooo…not to be bossy but just cook it separately ok. At least for the first time so you can compare. It just tastes much better.
Oh almost forgot, this beef and macaroni soup taste so good with some sweet cornbread or saltine crackers! And the leftovers are heavenly!!
Wanna kick it up a notch?
Even though I prefer this soup on the simple side, there’s nothing wrong with kicking it up a notch!
- Add veggies! Got leftover veggies from another meal? Throw them into this soup! We like it with diced potatoes!
- Add some spice! A lil dash of chili powder, cumin, and a few jalapenos are amazing!
- Don’t forget the cheese!!! Lots of shredded cheddar cheese is a must!!
Pray for a rainy day and then make this soup!!
Old Fashioned Beef & Macaroni Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef Use a good quality
- 3 cups beef broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes I use basil, oregano, garlic flavor
- 29 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar enough to balance out the tartness of tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni prepared al dente and drained.
- Cheddar cheese shredded (topping)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until tender.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in ground beef. (season beef with salt and pepper if desired)
- When beef is cooked, drain off the excess fat.
- Pour in the beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Stir in the brown sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. (It should taste good enough to eat as is)
- Let sauce simmer for 20 minutes (I usually prepare the pasta at this time.)
- Add cooked macaroni to the soup.
- Ladled soup into bowls.
- Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese