“Fluffy, moist vanilla-almond doughnut muffins covered in cinnamon sugar! It’s the best of both worlds & perfect with coffee”
A couple years ago we had this big brunch for my grandmother on Mother’s Day. We had a huge spread with a mini coffee bar.
I was in charge of bringing some treats for the coffee bar. Guess what I made? Yep, these little cinnamon sugar doughnut muffins!
Don’t they just scream brunch? Pair it up with some coffee and honey hush!! It’s like almost a too perfect pair.
Everybody thought they were doughnut holes at first glance and were pleasantly surprised to sink their teeth into melt-in-your mouth awesomeness.
No need to only serve them for brunch though, they are just as good as a snack with a tall glass of milk and I’ve even served them for breakfast with fresh fruit, bacon, eggs and hash browns!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the mini size! It’s the perfect size to pop in your mouth without getting cinnamon sugar all over your mouth.
Or in my case, my lips, eyes, hair, shirt, and pants. Yeah, normally me and cinnamon-sugary things don’t get along.
These cinnamon sugar doughnut muffins are soft, fluffy and the crumb is amazing!! They have the texture of a muffin with the taste of an old-fashioned cake doughnut.
And of course they’re easy to make with no yeast needed! Hallelujah!
I adapted this recipe from Downtown Bakery & Creamery. After hearing so much about their donut muffins my FOMO (fear of missing out) kicked in and I just HAD to see what all the fuss was about. So glad I did!
Because I just can’t leave well enough alone I changed a few things in the recipe like using both white and brown sugar, adding vanilla and almond extract, and replacing the milk and buttermilk with almond milk to play up on that amazing vanilla-almond flavor.
Watch me make these cinnamon sugar doughnut muffins from start to finish!
Mini Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut Muffins
By Divas Can Cook
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1½ sticks)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon + ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk
- CINNAMON SUGAR COATING
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted buter, melted
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. F.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Add in eggs.
- Mix in vanilla extract and almond extract. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, alternating with the almond milk.
- Mix just until combined, do not over mix. Batter will be a bit stretchy and very sticky.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop and place batter into muffin pan wells. (Do not fill to the top)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. ( My oven only need 10 minutes)
- Remove muffins from muffin pan and place on cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Make cinnamon sugar mixture by mixing sugar and cinnamon.
- To coat the doughnut muffins, brush muffin very lightly with melted butter.
- Place muffin in bowl of cinnamon sugar and toss to coat all sides.
- Place back on cooling rack and allow coated muffins to sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow the butter to absorb.
- Serve and enjoy!