Margarita-Soaked Watermelon Slices
You wanna hear something odd? I actually ENJOYED/ENJOYING summer so far. I am soooooo not a summer girl yall; heat, bugs, sweat-no bueno! I wouldn’t mind at all if the world only had two seasons, spring and fall. I’m kinda sad to see the end of summer nearing though.
Labor day is usually when we shut down the grill, not that we really grill that much around here. This year I’m headed home to grandmas for a cookout and I’ll be making these margarita-soaked watermelon slices. Yep, they are as lushy as they sound.
I’ll have to hide them in the back of the fridge because my grandmother (and most of my “older” family members) are not into alcohol… AT ALL. That gene surely did not rub off on my siblings and cousins because we love a good dranky drank! We sneak drinks into cookouts like we’re underage, college kids, even though we are all well over the drinking age. It’s kinda fun being all sneaky and stuff.
I’m sure these drunk watermelon slices will be a hit, especially with the girls! We love stuff like this. They are served super, duper cold and left to soak in a margarita-ish mixture overnight and served with a bit of margarita salt. The results are sinfully good slices of juicy, sweet watermelon that’s reminiscent of a refreshing watermelon margarita.
You can’t go wrong here people! It’s cook-out food, it’s girl-get-together food, it’s eat a few slices out by the pool food…you get the point right. Make this before summer leaves and takes all of her delicious, juicy, perfectly ripened melons with her.
Be sure to serve these margarita soaked watermelon really cold!! I pop them into the freezer for a while before I plan on serving, but straight from the fridge is good too.
Watch me make these margarita-soaked watermelon slices from start to finish!
Get the Recipe: Margarita-Soaked Watermelon Slices
- 1 seedless, baby watermelon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup Jose Curevo Tequila, I used a little over 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup Cointreau or Triple Sec, I used a little over 1/4 cup
- lime slices, garnish
- margarita salt, garnish
- Slice watermelon into small triangles.
- Arrange watermelon slices on a large cookie sheet in a single layer.
- In a medium size bowl add sugar and boiling water.
- Stir until sugar has dissolved and let cool.
- Add in lime juice.
- Stir in Tequila and Cointreau.
- Spoon mixture over each watermelon slice and then pour on what's left.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. (no longer than that)
- Serve slices cold on a platter with lime slices and a dish of margarita salt.
Soak for a 12-24 hours for the best flavor. (no longer than that or you'll have rubbery melons)
Want stronger tequila flavor? Throw in more baby! Yaass!
I love these as kabobs as well.
Serve SUPER COLD