I must be in a nostalgic mood these past few weeks because I’ve been craving dishes from my past that I haven’t had in decades, like this cheesy zucchini rice, no bake cheesecake and now lemon hot salt chicken!! It’s fun reliving the past through food isn’t it? I’m not sure if lemon hot salt chicken is the real name for this chicken but it’s what we always called it.
It’s a simple, no-fuss type dish that comes together with few ingredients. I’m really starting to get into retro recipes from the housewife era. I love how they have such few ingredients, come together quick, and taste great.
Growing up, we always had lemon hot salt chicken on Wednesdays, not sure what that was all about. Maybe because it was so quick to make. I had to dig deep for this recipe, even my grandmother couldn’t remember the exact measurements. Thank God for those old church fundraiser cookbooks. They never let me down. If you’re ever in Goodwill go to the book section because people are always dropping off those cookbook gems.
Anyway, this chicken is spicy, smokey, salty and so juicy and moist. If you’ve never used hot salt before then you’ll probably start after having this chicken. It taste good on anything that you want to give a smokey, salty taste to. I love it on this sweet grilled corn!
You can make your own hot salt, which is what I did for this recipe since I couldn’t find any Morton Hot Salt which I love. I think it was discontinued but you can order it online from Amazon, which is what I’ll be doing next time because I just freakin love that stuff and had forgotten all about it.
Watch me make this lemon hot salt chicken from start to finish!
Lemon Hot Salt Chicken
By Divas Can Cook
- MILD HOT SALT MIX
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- ½ teaspoon hickory salt or any other smoked salt (I used applewood smoked salt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (about 4-5 lbs)
- ½ cup butter, melted (can use less)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix the hot salt spices together. Set aside.
- Add lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the hot salt to the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the butter mixture.
- Place chicken on a roasting pan or grilling pan.
- When all the chicken has been dipped in butter, sprinkle generously with more hot salt. Really get it covered up!
- Add the extra butter if desired.
- (You can let it marinate in the fridge to maximize the flavors or throw it right into the oven)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Turn on the broiler the last few minutes of cooking to crisp the skin more if desired.
- Let chicken rest for 5-10 minutes when it comes out of the oven.
- Serve hot or cold. Taste great either way!!