How To Make Ice Cream Sandwich Cake (That Cookout Cake)
Watch me make this ice cream sandwich cake from start to finish!
I’ve been in these internet blogging streets for a long time! I remember when Pinterest started in 2010 and the start of all those incredible viral recipe pins like this honey bun cake!
This ice cream sandwich cake was also one of them. Yeah, it’s just ice cream sandwiches stacked up with whipped topping and fudge, but it’s awesome!
I made this for a birthday cookout, and the rest has been history. It gets requested often, and I’ve made it using many candies and cookie combinations.
Yep, it’s one of those recipes where you really can’t go wrong. It’s a keeper and a crowd-pleaser!
“Can you make that cookout ice cream sandwich cake?”
Get ready for the requests! My boys (and most kids) LOVE this ice cream sandwich cake. It’s an easy dessert, but they think it’s some glorious treat with all its fancy layers. Ha! Got’em!
Even the adults will scrape the pan clean. It’s the perfect cookout cake, and as soon as I bring it out of the freezer, here come the kiddos!
Let’s make it!
What is an ice cream sandwich cake?
Just in case you’re new to this creation, ice cream sandwich cake consists of ice cream sandwiches layered between whipped topping, fudge, caramel, nuts, and M&M’s. But this is just one variety. A quick Google search will show you the endless possibilities for this cake.
The end result is a pretty impressive, super easy, and downright delicious ice cream cake!
What I love about this ice cream sandwich cake recipe
- Quick-Once you get past unwrapping all the ice cream sandwiches, it’s just stacking, spreading, and sprinkling from that point!
- Easy- No baking is needed for this ice cream sandwich cake! My kind of hot-weather dessert!
- Delicious- This cake tastes so good to have such basic ingredients. It’s a sinful dessert that is perfect for special occasions.
- Versatile- There are so many toppings options, from crushed cookies to chocolate magic shells. As long as you have ice cream sandwiches, whipped topping, and fudge, everything else is a bonus!
Overview of How to Make the BEST ice cream sandwich cake
- ice cream sandwiches
- hot fudge topping
- whipped topping (Like Cool Whip)
- lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts
- mini M & M’s
- Chocolate syrup
- salted caramel sauce (optional)
- Unwrap the first 12 ice cream sandwiches and place them on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. (I usually have to cut a few to fill the edges.)
- Spread half of the fudge topping evenly over the ice cream sandwiches.
- Spread half of the whipped topping.
- Arrange the final layer of ice cream sandwiches on top. You will need to cut them to fit the corners. (Press them down a little to make more room if needed)
- Spread on the remaining fudge sauce and top with the remaining whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the mini M&M’s and peanuts evenly over the top of the cake.
- Drizzle on the chocolate syrup and salted caramel.
- Freeze until the chocolate syrup is frozen (so that it doesn’t stick), and then cover with plastic wrap (or use a domed lid) and freeze for about 3 hours.
- To serve, warm a knife under hot water to make slicing easier.
Work quickly- Unwrapping all the ice cream sandwiches takes a bit of time, so I like to do a few, pop them into the freezer, and do a few more. That way, I don’t have to worry about them melting too much.
Use a deep casserole dish- This is a tall dessert! One of those 9×13 disposable aluminum trays with the dome lid works great! I use my 9×13 casserole dish, which comes a little above the rim, so I have to use foil or plastic wrap to cover it.
Use quality ice cream sandwiches- I prefer Mayfield or Bluebell brand ice cream sandwiches because of the softer texture. For this post, I had to use the Publix brand, and they were a bit crumbly. However, they didn’t stick to my fingers while unwrapping as much as the other brands, so pick your poison.
Change it up! So many variations!
Use different flavor ice cream sandwiches- Here’s a great way to change up the base for this recipe. Instead of using the normal vanilla Ice cream sandwiches, try using birthday cake flavor, mint, or even Neopolotin.
Use different toppings- Topping for ice cream sandwich cakes are endless. Try using crushed cookies like Oreo cookies or chocolate chip cookies. Various nuts like pecans or almonds work great too. And, of course, you could easily swap out the M&M’s for crushed candy bars or Reese’s pieces. Or keep it simple with sprinkles or no topping at all!
Change the sauce topping- Hot Fudge sauce and caramel sauce are the most popular syrups for ice cream sandwich cake. However, you can get creative and try other things like Nutella, peanut butter, salted caramel, and other ice cream sauces and syrups.
Add ice cream- Yep! You could even layer regular ice cream between the layers, such as strawberry ice cream or chocolate ice cream.
Do I have to freeze this dessert right after making it? Yes, freezing this dessert helps the whipped topping to become firmer so that it cuts beautifully.
Why are my ice cream sandwiches melting as I prepare the dish? Ice cream sandwiches melt surprisingly fast. Work as quickly as possible, but no worries since they will refreeze when the dessert is placed into the freezer.
Get the Recipe: Ice Cream Sandwich Cake (That Cookout Cake)
- 24 ice cream sandwiches, (Use a quality brand)
- 16 oz hot fudge topping, ( I use Mrs. Richardsons brand)
- 16 oz frozen whipped topping (thawed), ( I used Cool Whip)
- ½ cup lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped, (see note)
- ½ cup mini M&M's, (see note)
- Chocolate syrup (for drizzling on top)
- sea salt caramel sauce (for drizzling on top)
- Unwrap the first 12 ice cream sandwiches and place them on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. (I usually have to cut a few of them to fill in the edges.24 ice cream sandwiches
- Spread on half of the fudge sauce.16 oz hot fudge topping
- Top with half of the whipped cream.16 oz frozen whipped topping (thawed)
- Repeat layering, ending with the remaining whipped topping.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with mini M&M's and peanuts.½ cup lightly salted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped, ½ cup mini M&M's
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and caramel.sea salt caramel sauce (for drizzling on top), Chocolate syrup (for drizzling on top)
- Freeze until the chocolate syrup is frozen (so that it doesn't stick), and then cover with plastic wrap (or use a domed lid) and freeze for about 3 hours.
- To serve, warm a knife under hot water to make slicing easier.
- Serve and store covered.