Watch me make these hot turkey and cheese sandwiches from start to finish!
I went over my cousin’s house for a blogger’s meetings, and she served up these hearty, hot turkey and cheese sandwiches. She’d just gotten off of work and whipped these bad boys up in a flash. I LOVED them! It’s my uncle BB’s recipe, and I was so shocked when she told me it was really just turkey lunch meat, bacon, and cheese! No way!
I could have sworn I was eating some kind of shredded chicken spread. I sat eye’ing a second helping for the longest, but I didn’t want to be the greedy girl in the group.
The next day I called her for the recipe and made them for dinner that night. I adapted the recipe slightly and loved them even more. I’m convinced you really can’t go wrong with this recipe for a quick meal. It’s so simple. Almost too simple for such a great taste. My hubby really liked them, and it was his idea to do a video.
Serve on your favorite toasted bread. I like it on buttered and toasted french bread, and hubby loved it best on toasted croissants. I think I’ll try it on flatbread next because I’ve already made these hot turkey and cheese sandwiches three times in the last few weeks and I’m pretty sure I’ll be making them again soon.
The Perfect Lunch: Hot Turkey and Cheese Sandwiches, Original Pringles, red grapes, a dill pickle, and ice-cold water. Seriously, so good!!
Hot Turkey & Cheese Sandwich
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 4-5 slices turkey bacon diced
- 7 oz turkey lunchmeat cut up (freshly sliced from deli if possible)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella can use more or less
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese can use more or less
- Toasted sandwich bread french bread, sourdough, flatbread, etc
- Lettuce torn
- tomato sliced
- avocado sliced
- black pepper
- dill pickle on the side
- Add finely diced onions and green peppers to a lightly buttered skillet over medium heat.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes and then add in turkey bacon (see note below about this step)
- Cook until bacon is fully cooked and green peppers are tender.
- Drain grease if needed.
- Add diced turkey lunch meat
- Stir in cheeses until everything is covered in cheese.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder if desired. (I didn't think it needed any)
- Remove from heat.
- Prepare the sandwiches: Lightly butter and toast the bread. On the bottom piece add a generous portion of the meat and cheese mixture. Top with lettuce, tomato, and avocado. Sprinkle on black pepper. Spread mustard and mayonnaise on the other half of bread and place on top.
- Don't forget the dill pickle on the side!
Change it up! Try roast beef and cheese!
Add smoked cheeses and smoked bacon for a new flavor!
Try a 5 meat and 5 cheese combo.
Use freshly sliced deli turkey lunchmeat if possible! So good!