Visual learner? Watch how to make this homemade vegetable soup from start to finish!
SNOW SNOW SNOW!!!!!!! Finally got my snow yall! It snowed here last month, but we were away in Florida. The kids were bummed because they are such snow fans!
Yesterday we woke up to best snow ever! You know the kind that is so soft, and fluffy yet holds the perfect snowball?
They couldn’t wait to get out in it, and I think I heard “is it time yet?” 180,000,435 times! Ahhh to be a kid again.
My husband and I lasted outside for about 10 minutes! Hahaha! I use to could hang with the best of them! It was freezing, but of course, they stayed out and played like it was a warm Spring day.
Snowy weather puts me in such a cooking mood. I quickly made up some chicken noodle soup and vegetable soup. Today I’ll be sharing with you the homemade vegetable soup I posted on Instagram.
Speaking of which are you following me on Instagram??
This vegetable soup is such a classic. It’s simple, hearty, goodness. Now I usually prefer my bowl of soup with MEAT, and you can certainly throw in some sausage or beef, but this vegetable soup is seasoned up so well that I didn’t even miss the meat.
You wanna know what I love about homemade vegetable soup? It’s the perfect way to use up veggies, and you can really add in or leave out whatever you want!
Love potatoes? Add more of them? Hate peas? Leave it out. You really can’t go wrong here, and vegetable soup is so easy to make.
For this homemade vegetable soup recipe, I’m using peas, carrots, potatoes, green beans, potatoes, celery, onions and diced tomatoes! Just throw the whole garden in there honey!
Now for the broth, you can use beef broth, vegetable broth or chicken broth. I’m using and prefer chicken broth (surprise surprise right?). Chicken broth will give the soup a slightly lighter flavor and color.
The key to a savory homemade vegetable soup is to TASTE, TASTE, TASTE!! Add in your seasoning a little at a time, stir and then taste. Let your taste buds do what they were created to do.
I like to serve this homemade vegetable soup with a basket of grill cheese roll-ups! So good!!
Homemade Vegetable Soup
By Divas Can Cook
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1½ cups carrots, diced
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2½ cups yellow potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 2 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cups green beans
- 6½ cups chicken broth (can also use beef or vegetable)
- 1½ teaspoons oregano
- 1½ teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- bay leaf
- 1½ cups corn
- 1½ cups sweet peas
- salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, to taste.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in onion, celery, and carrots.
- Cook until carrots are slightly tender to the bite.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add in potatoes, tomatoes, and green beans.
- Pour in broth.
- Stir in oregano, basil, thyme, parsley, brown sugar, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered until potatoes are
cooked,about 20 minutes.
- Add in corn and peas and simmer until cooked.
- Taste the soup and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder until the desired flavor is reached.
Feel free to increase the vegetable or swap them out to your liking.