“Homemade Spaghetti Sauce! Loaded with onions, garlic, tomatoes, fresh herbs and a splash of wine! Easy recipe that’s full of fresh and roasted flavors!”
Watch me make this easy homemade spaghetti sauce from start to finish!
Last week I showed you the first step in making my homemade spaghetti sauce which was creating the “tomato gold”! Tomato gold is what I call my homemade tomato sauce.
It’s full of fresh roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, fresh herbs and wine! Here’s that post in case you missed it! It makes a great little shortcut when making homemade spaghetti sauce because all the yummy goodness is already in there.
You’ll need it to create this bowl-licking good spaghetti sauce!
And when I say bowl-licking I mean it! My boys will literally lick the bowl clean when I make this homemade spaghetti sauce. Matter of fact, I have yet to serve this to a guest and them not compliment on how good it is. Even Michelle Obama asked for this recipe!
Ok that last sentence was a lie. I was on a roll so I had to go big! Forgive me. But hey there is only one way for you to find out how good it is and that is to make it! It just might become a favorite for your family as well.
What makes this spaghetti sauce so doggone special? Well…I don’t know. I think it’s the combination of so many things. Making from-scratch tomato sauce from roasted tomatoes creates a sauce that is velvety smooth. I’ve had people ask if there was a little cream in the sauce (which there isn’t by the way) it just has a nice texture from the roasted tomatoes sauce.
I don’t add any fancy bells and whistles to the sauce really. I prefer to keep it simple and then serve it with toppings like black olives, fresh basil, pepperoni and parmesan cheese. Those are my favorite four toppings with this spaghetti sauce, but you can add your favs! Mushrooms and green bell peppers are a great addition.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef I'm using grass-fed, organic ground beef
- 2 cups homemade roasted tomato sauce get recipe
- 6 oz tomato paste I use the tomato paste with pesto
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- splash of wine
- Toppings: Fresh basil pepperoni, black olives, and parmesan cheese
- Add ground beef to a large deep skillet or pot.
- Cook until browned.
- Drain off the fat from the beef.
- Stir in roasted tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatoes.
- Stir in broth and water.
- Add bay leaf and red pepper flakes.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add fresh herbs and a splash of wine.'
- Taste the sauce and add salt, pepper or other seasonings if desired.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti noodles and garnish with toppings.