Fast, fresh, crispy, crunchy, seasoned homemade potato chips.!!! These potato chips are so addictive and so easy! It sure beats waiting for the oven to preheat. Thank God they are healthier than store-bought chips! Making homemade potato chips takes me back to my girl’s scout days…ahh the creative things we use to do.
OK, so I wasn’t actually a girl scout, I just bummed all the creative crafts and recipes from the real girl scouts (yes, even at the ripe ol’ age of nine I was a recipe addict) This recipe was one of my favorites (along with the homemade bubble gum!)
As a child it just amazed me how I could put slices of raw potatoes in the microwave and have them come out tasting like Lays minus all the grease. It was like magic! I made these every single day for about 2 weeks until my mother calmly sat me down and explained to me that potatoes cost money and I was eating way too many of them. Then I went on to making microwaved apple chips and sweet potato chips : )
I’m back on the homemade, microwave potato chip kick yall!! I’ve been making them for three days straight. I’ve tried them with salt & pepper, ranch dressing powder, and seasoning salt. So far seasoning salt is my fav!
My toddler loves homemade potato chips so much and as soon as he sees me whip out the potatoes and potato peeler he says “mommy, sips (chips) pwease!” : )
Give them a try, I’m pretty sure that you’ll be just as addicted. Not unless you are one of the rare people who have potato chip willpower. And if you do, I’m completely jealous!
Homemade Microwaved Potato Chips
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: snacks
- 1 large russet potato (can also use Yukon or red potatoes)
- olive oil or cooking spray (to oil plate)
- Seasoning salt (or any spices of your choice)
- Start with a washed and peeled potato. With a peeler or knife, shave off thin slices of potato. (I cut off the rounded ends) They should be paper thin.
- Sprinkle on the seasoning salt.
- Coat a microwave-safe plate generously with oil or cooking spray.
- Please do not skip this step or will have hell trying to scrap these things off the plate.
- Lay the potato slices in a single layer on the plate. Step 5.) Microwave for 5-5½ minutes or until the edges start to curl and the chips are starting to brown slightly & crisp. This will vary depending on your microwave & the kind of potato you use.
- Use a spatula to remove from plate. Chips will get firmer as they cool. (if you find that your chips are sticking to the plate use more oil or parchment paper.