“Homemade, chewy brownies topped with from-scratch, soft batch chocolate chip cookies! Easy, crowd-pleasing recipe chocolate chip cookie brownies!”
Watch me make these homemade chocolate chip cookie brownies from start to finish!
Brownies and chocolate chip cookies. Nuff said! It’s like…an obvious win-win! I think my mother was making this dessert long before it became the thing. She was always combining desserts and dishes to create new ones. I was always so excited when I came home from school to a plate of these. I mean how cool is having a brownie and a chocolate chip cookie all in one?
Pair these chocolate chip cookie bars with vanilla ice cream and caramel fudge and lordt have mercy!! It’s almost too good! I’d know because that’s exactly what my husband and I did for an afternoon treat today and it was insanity.
I’m surprised at how many recipes out there opt for the box brownie for this recipe. I LOVE boxed brownies, don’t get me wrong, but homemade ones tasted amazing with this recipe! It really gives it that old fashioned “grandma made these with love” vibe. The brownie recipe bakes up chewy and slightly fudgey, making it perfect to pair with soft chocolate chip cookies!
I prefer to eat them slightly under-cooked so that the cookie is slightly gooey, yet it firms up to the perfect creamy texture once it’s cooled off.
Oh but let me warn you, these are rich and perfectly sweet. A little goes a long way so cut them into small squares to serve.
Don’t think that you are limited to this recipe alone! These chocolate chip cookie brownies are super customizable! Throw in walnuts, toffee, mint chips, M & M’s (my boys favorite), candies or cookies! It’s also fun to add in different extracts into the brownie mixture like coffee, rum, or mint.
Homemade Brookies Bars Recipe | Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie Bars
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more to press on top
CHEWY COCOA BROWNIES
- 10 Tablespoon butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Line a 8 X 8 pan with grease parchment paper, set aside.
- To make the chocolate chip cookies dough, in a large bowl cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- To make the brownie batter, in a large bowl cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Stir in cocoa powder until combined.
- Stir in flour and salt until all flour is incorporated.
- Fold in mini chocolate chips if using.
- Spread brownie batter into prepared pan into an even layer.
- Drop the cookie dough by the spoonful over the batter until covered.
- Stick additional chocolate chips into the cookie dough.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. (I prefer to remove them from the oven a bit early since I prefer my cookies a little on the undercooked side.) Remember it will continue to cook as it cools so be careful not to overbake. Check it at the 30 minute mark.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooing rack to finish cooling.
- Once cooled, cut into squares and serve.
- Store in airtight container.