Fluffy Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes (Grandma Barb’s)
“Fluffy, homemade buttermilk pancakes recipe that’s quick, easy and a family favorite! Add whipped butter and scratch-made maple syrup for an unforgettable down-home breakfast!”
I love going to visit my grandmother in the mountains. She’s such great company and her cooking is nothing short of a blessing. The last time I stopped in for a visit she made a HUGE brunch for us. We were just passing through but she insisted, as always, that we allow her to cook us something to eat. The only answer to that is, “Sure mama if you insist” : )
She went into the kitchen and I kid you not, no less than 20 minutes later we sat down to the best homemade buttermilk pancakes, scratch-made maple syrup, homemade breakfast sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, southern grits, crispy hash browns, and a huge bowl of chilled diced melons. It was a gorgeous spread!
How does she do it??!?? You can’t even get this kinda speedy service at a restaurant. We always joke about her having little elves in the kitchen helping because she whips up homemade meals so fast.
Everything was delicious especially those doggone pancakes and syrup!! She insisted that it was just her normal buttermilk pancake recipe except she ran out of buttermilk and had to use half whole milk and then she added a bit extra vanilla extract and brushed them with butter while they were on the griddle. I guess that made all the difference!
The homemade pancake syrup really took these fluffy, light buttermilk pancakes to the next level. Man, that syrup is good!!! So buttery and sweet with the perfect amount of old-fashioned maple flavor. I have that recipe coming up!
In her generous fashion she quickly wrote out the recipe for me and I’ve been making them non-stop it seems. My boys are currently in a pancake fanatic stage and Ethan has been requesting them for dinner.
I really think I like these homemade buttermilk pancakes better than my other favorite pancake recipe. I guess one can never have too many favorite pancake recipes huh?
Although these buttermilk pancakes are light and fluffy, they are not too delicate to hold up to a good drizzling of hot syrup! Not to mention they are really easy to make and I usually have everything on hand.
Be sure to serve these bad boys piping hot, fresh off the griddle!
Watch me make these homemade buttermilk pancakes from start to finish!!
Get the Recipe: Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm buttermilk
- 1 cup warm whole milk
- 1/4 cup real butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt,baking soda and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs until fluffy and uniform in color.
- Whisk in buttermilk and whole milk.
- Stir in melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet mixture into the well.
- Gently add the dry ingredients into the well and stir until flour is incorporated. (Be very careful here and do not over stir. Batter should be lumpy.)
- Heat a nonstick griddle to 350 F. (This is the standard tempt. but griddles seem to heat differently. I have to heat mine to 300 F. It may be best to do a test pancake first to test out what is the best temp for your griddle)
- Place 1/3 cup worth of pancake batter onto the hot griddle. (I spread the batter out a little as I'm pouring it on since the batter is thick if it has sat for a while.)
- Cook pancakes until bubbles break on the surface and then flip them over and cook the other side until golden. (see note)
- Spread melted butter on top of each pancake and place in a stack.
- Serve hot with syrup and whipped butter.
If your pancakes are golden or brown on the underside before bubbles begin to break on the surface then your heat is too high.
I have tried every pancake recipe on the internet, but had forgotten to consult Divas Can Cook. I’m done looking. Thanks Grandma Barb. These are THE BEST.
These are THE BEST pancakes I have ever made…still patiently waiting on your cookbook to drop so that I can support. I CONSTANTLY use your recipes, not just on holidays. I added 2 Tbl of brown sugar and 2 Tbl of PB2 since I wanted to try out some peanut butter pancakes. Top with peanut butter, syrup, and bananas or peanut butter and jelly! They were amazingly fluffy and soft. Your recipes are definitely tried and true. Thank you for helping me get the staples right in the kitchen.
I will support your cookbook as well, these were the best pancakes I have ever had in my life!
You are the absolute BEST ! I am NOT a cook by any means butsince I have been following your recipes, I have been in my kitchen literally every day ! my husband loves you : ) Thank you so much for sharing you love for cooking. You have truly inspired me.
God bless you
I can’t wait to try this recipe.
You are such a treasure..Every recipe I’ve prepared has been delicious and reminds me so much of my mom’s cooking…Thank you for sharing your love for food and southern cooking. I had a hankering for some pancakes this morning and have decided to use your recipe. I’m sure it will delightful. What a blessing you are…
This is THEE best pancake recipe! I’ve made it two days in a row now. The second time I doubled the recipe and put some in the freezer for a quick breakfast on busy mornings. Thank you!