Guacamole Recipe + Chipotle-Style Lime Chips Made From Scratch!
“Homemade guacamole recipe paired with Chipotle Lime Chips! Full of fresh ingredients and downright addictive!”
Visual learner? Watch me make this guacamole recipe with Chipotle-Style lime chips from start to finish!
This week we celebrated my baby boy Ethan’s 7th birthday! How did seven years go by that fast? It seems like I was asking you guys for baby boy names last week for this little guy! (sigh)
Well, we had a great day, despite some of our favorite birthday places being closed down and none of his cousins could come over. It’s a birthday tradition in our family, that I decorate while they are sleeping. They wake to a birthday outfit and themed missions to complete in order to find where their presents are hidden. I’m not sure if they will ever out-grow this tradition. I turned the basement into a little Minecraft adventure full of mining fun and ended with a Minecraft popcorn bar and movie night with the in-laws.
For his birthday dinner, he couldn’t make up his mind between Chipotle or Outback. Those are his favorite restaurants. We settled on Outback, but the next day I decided to make him his favorite Chipotle items- guacamole and lime chips!
He couldn’t believe that we could make these at home and said he liked them much better than Chipotle. I think they taste spot on to Chipotle’s but a little better since you can eat them fresh with that massive burst of bold lime flavor!
About the Guacamole Recipe:
Ok, now let’s talk about this fresh and easy guacamole. It’s got all the essential ingredients that make guacamole so daggum addictive: perfectly ripe avocados, fresh cilantro, garlic, lime juice, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, salt & pepper. Check, check, check, and check, it’s all there!
But I’ve added in a bit of cumin and jalapenos because mercy, I love that slightly peppery & smokey taste that it lends. It makes it downright irresistible!
How to Make Guacamole From Scratch
This guacamole recipe is so easy, peasy, sleezy! You can throw everything a food processor, but I like to do it all by hand. I start by mashing up my avocados, leaving a few chunks in there. Next, I add plenty of lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. I make sure this avocado mixture tastes good before proceeding. Next, I add in the rest of the minced ingredients. Give it a stir, taste, adjust seasoning, and done! If not serving immediately, I spread the dip into a smooth layer and then sprinkle lime juice. This slows down the browning a bit. Chill the guacamole in the fridge for 1 hour to let the flavors mend. Stir and serve.
How do you keep this guacamole recipe from turning brown?
Avocados turn brown when exposed to air, so there is no way of keeping them that gorgeous bright green color for many days. However, there are a few tricks that I use that helps.
- When done preparing the guacamole, flatten the surface of the dip, and then squirt on the fresh lime juice. The lime will help preserve the color a bit longer.
- Prepare the guacamole recipe a few hours before you want to serve it. The longer it hangs out, the top layer will start to brown. However, day-old guacamole tastes so good, so if you want to make it a day before, scrape off the top layer and give it a good stir, hello bright green guac!
Now that the guacamole is done let’s talk about these authentic Chipotle Lime Chips! Thankfully Chipotle is not stingy with their chip recipe, and plenty of workers have shared the easy process online. To make these chips, all your need is corn tortillas (use a good brand), sunflower oil for frying, fresh lime juice, and sea salt.
When choosing your corn tortillas for your chips, go with a good brand with the fewest ingredients as possible. You want to avoid a whole bunch of fillers and junk.
How to make Chipotle-Style Chips
These lime chips are super simple; start by slice the corn tortillas into 4ths. Next, fry them in sunflower oil. Let the chips strain. Next, toss them in fresh lime juice and salt. ( I like to use a little spray bottle to lay on a fine mist of lime). Taste and adjust the salt and lime, but that it! You’re not going to believe how bold and delicious these chips are!)
Now you’re all set to enjoy some of the best guacamole and lime chips that ever existed! Might as well make up a batch of frozen margaritas to go along with them!!
Happy guacamole making!
Fresh Guacamole with Chipotle Lime Chips
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic finely minced
- ½- ¾ teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼-½ cup cherry tomatoes diced
- 2 tablespoons red onions minced
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno minced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
Chipotle-Inspired Lime Chips
- sunflower oil for frying
- 20-30 corn tortillas (use a good brand with thin tortillas)
- Lime juice (the juice of 2 limes)
- sea salt
To Make The Guacamole
- Cut the avocado length-wise and spoon the flesh into a large bowl.
- Add in the lime juice and garlic.
- Using a potato masher, mash the avocados to your desire chunkiness.
- Add salt, cumin and black pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Stir in tomatoes, red onions, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and ingredients to your taste (Be careful not to add too much salt if serving with salty chips)
- Serve immediately or chill for 1 hour to allow the flavors to mend. (See note if not serving immediately)
To make the Chipotle-Inspired Lime Chips:
- Heat sunflower oil in a large skillet. Line a large tray with paper towels, Set aside
- Cut tortillas in half and then in fourths so that you have 4 triangles.
- Add tortillas in a single layer into the hot oil, working in batches
- Fry until lightly golden and crisp, flipping once.
- Place tortillas on the prepared tray to drain.
- Add the juice of 2 limes into a spray bottle.
- Place the chips into a large bowl and spray generously with some of the lime juice while tossing. (You won't need all of the lime juice)
- Sprinkle on the sea salt and toss some more so that the chips are coated.
- Taste the chips and add more lime juice and salt as desired.
- Spread the chips out on a tray and serve immediately.