Lamb wasn’t something that I grew up with. Normally I’d just pass it on by when I’m grocery shopping. Well, that was before I took a trip to Israel and had a chance to taste the local cuisine.
OMG it was delish! I’m talking zesty and fresh! Lamb is served a lot over there, even the McDonald’s had a lamb pita combo. So now when I see lamb on sale I snag it up because it is so savory!!!
One sandwich I love making with lamb are these Lamb Sammies with Tzatziki (I love saying that)sauce.
They a full of flavor and taste so fresh! Now there’s a few steps of prep work and marinating but don’t let that throw you off. I’m gonna take ya step-by-step. Trust me it is so worth it!
I like to serve these little bad boys whenever I’m having a get-together and just let everyone make their own lamb sammies. These also make for an impressive picnic. Your man (or woman) will think you are the stuff when you whip out that picnic blanket and BAM!! Out comes the homemade lamb sammies!!
They are always a hit, presents well and are very filling to be so small.
Greek Lamb Sammies w/ Tzatziki Sauce
By Divas Can Cook
- 1 lb. lamb, room temperature
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 2-3 Tablespoon olive oil
- TZATZIKI SAUCE
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cucumber, seeded and diced into tiny pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- mini pita bread rolls
- Fixings: sliced tomatoes & red onions,
- Make shallow slits in lamb and place piece of garlic in the slits.
- Mix together salt, rosemary, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano.
- Coat the lamb in olive oil and sprinkle on seasonings.
- Wrap the lamb in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- Add tzatziki sauce ingredients in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate for 2-12 hours.
- Remove lamb from the fridge and let come to room temperature.
- Broil the lamb for 12-14 minutes or until your desired doneness is reached.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Slice the lamb into thin slices.
- Place lamb on pita or mini sandwich bread.
- Top with tomato lettuce and tzatziki sauce.