“Fluffy, moist homemade funfetti cupcakes made with simple ingredients and an easy buttercream frosting!”
Visual learner? Watch me make these funfetti cupcakes from start to finish!
I. Am. Done.
Omg, I’m FINALLY done with my cookbook!!! All the years of procrastinating, recipe testing, photos, messy kitchen, 14 hour days, fast food because I was too burnt out to cook, 10 lbs heavier because this cookbook is so dadgum delicious, has come to a successful end!
This is, by far, the most exciting and time-consuming project I have ever done. It took over my families entire life, and I’m sure you guys felt the effects from my lack of posting now and then. (Thanks for being so patient with me!)
I put my heart and soul into this cookbook, and I’m so ready to spill all the details soon.
For now, though, I just want to celebrate! With the hard work behind me, now it’s time to play! Nothing says celebration like funfetti cupcakes!!
I mean look how fun and happy they look!! Those bright, colorful specs make you want to devour them, and that’s what I did! Three of them back to back like a savage cake beast!
What I love about these homemade funfetti cupcakes is that they are so easy to make and are seriously THE BEST FUNFETTI CUPCAKES I’VE EVER HAD! No eggy taste that from-scratch funfetti cake can sometimes have. The cupcakes and frosting recipe is enough for 12-14 perfect funfetti cupcakes!
They have that old-fashioned white cake flavor and with a sweet vanilla buttercream frosting and whoo child; funfetti sugar high is a real thing!! I like to use clear vanilla extract and butter flavoring for my cupcakes, but you can certainly give them a hint of flavoring with any of your favorite extracts.
Wait, what is Funfetti?
I realize that a few of you may have never heard of the word funfetti. It’s a white cake with colorful sprinkles (confetti). Funfetti was introduced by Pilsbury in 1989, and I remember it too! I neglected my favorite strawberry birthday cake for a funfetti one several times when I was younger! Those colorful sprinkles pull kids in all the time!
What ingredients do I need to make Funfetti cupcakes?
Funfetti cupcakes are so simple! You’ll need flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, granulated sugar, canola oil, shortening, buttermilk, egg whites, sour cream, and of course colorful sprinkles!
If you’ve tried making Funfetti cupcakes in the past and have failed, check this out!
Here are some tips on how to make Funfetti cupcakes better!
- Add moisture. White cakes are notorious for being dry and crumbly. Whether you use butter or shortening, be sure to add a bit of vegetable oil to the batter as well. It will keep the cupcakes soft and light. Also adding sour cream or yogurt will give the crumb a nice, moist texture.
- Don’t use a mixer. It’s so easy to overmix finicky funfetti cake batter. I stick to hand mixing to prevent over mixing things.
- Don’t use nonpareils sprinkles ( the ones that look like tiny balls) Some brands bleed like crazy and will streak your white cake batter.
- Don’t over or underbake. Sometimes you can get away with slightly underbaking cupcakes to the point where the tops are somewhat sticky and moist. You don’t want to do that with white cake, trust!! There is nothing more disgusting than the underbaked taste of egg whites in a cake. Make sure the cupcakes are completely done before removing the oven. For some reason, I always have two on the ends that need more extra time, so I remove the others and put them back in.
- Don’t overfill the cupcake liners. 3/4 full is perfect, or you risk them overflowing and not cooking properly.
- Use extracts. White cake is kinda..well, boring! I’m pretty sure that’s why Pilsbury invented funfetti. It made white cake happy again. Using flavorings and extracts can wake up the taste of funfetti. I like to use a combo of clear vanilla extract and natural butter flavoring. But almond extract, strawberry extract, and even butter pecan flavoring are so good in white cake.
Can I make these Cupcakes Vegan?
You sure can! Replace the butter with all shortening and vegan egg white replacement. Use almond milk in place of the buttermilk and vegan sour cream or vegan vanilla yogurt in place of the sour cream
How do I make these cupcakes with cream cheese frosting?
It’s easy to turn this basic vanilla buttercream frosting into a cream cheese frosting by replacing half the butter with softened cream cheese.
How do I add a surprise filling to my cupcakes?
Adding a surprise filling takes the fun of funfetti to a whole new level! To make a pinata cupcake or one with a surprise inside, you’ll need first to bake the cupcakes and let them cool. Then scoop out a small circle in the middle without going all the way to the bottom. Add your surprise like mini m&m’s, lemon curd, or more sprinkles. Frost the cupcake to conceal the hole.
Now go make some easy funfetti cupcakes. You deserve them for simply being remarkable and unique!
Wanna Make a Cream Cheese Sprinkle Frosting?
Try this amazing recipe and add sprinkles!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon natural butter flavoring
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon natural butter flavoring
- salt pinch
- sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake liners and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl stir together sugar, oil, and shortening until well combined.
- Stir in egg whites, sour cream, vanilla extract and butter flavoring.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full of batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by combining all frosting ingredients and mixing until creamy.
- Place frosting into a frosting bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle the frosting with additional sprinkles.