Fair Funnel Cake Recipe
Summa Summa Summa Tiiiiiime, Summa Time!!! Summer is almost here divas!! Yes, lawd!!! I am not really a fan of summer because I don’t do heat very well, but I do love the fact that every summer I can count on hitting up some awesome street festivals and fairs for some scrumptious hot funnel cakes!!! Mmmm…slightly crunchy on the outside and fluffy and chewy on the inside…golden and simply delish!!
I’m a plain girl when it comes to my funnel cakes. I like them with nothing but powdered sugar, but occasionally I’ll throw on some strawberries or apples & caramel. I got this recipe for funnel cakes a few days ago from a friend of mine and I wish I had it during the colder months. This recipe fries up one delicious funnel cake and just the way I like them.
I’m going to show you exactly how to make these fair funnel cakes and then I’m going to eat the whole batch while I’m uploading pics for this post. Think I’m lying?
I will definitely be keeping this recipe in my stash!
Please read the helpful tips below before making these! I have screwed this recipe up twice by not following them. I’m so hard-headed.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups butter flavored shortening, for frying
- Powdered sugar (optional garnish)
- In a small bowl, mix together: egg, vanilla, milk, & brown sugar
- Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together: flour, baking powder, & salt.
- Add wet mixture into dry mixture and mix well until combined.
- Heat Butter Flavored Crisco in a skillet on high (about 350 degrees). You can use regular Vegetable oil or Crisco but the butter flavor Crisco is the one those carnival vendors have stashed under the fryers. (I’m so nosey)
- When <g class=”gr_ gr_191 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep” id=”191″ data-gr-id=”191″>oil</g> is ready <g class=”gr_ gr_192 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep” id=”192″ data-gr-id=”192″>add</g> 1/2 cup of mixture into the funnel. Use your finger to plug up the hole at the bottom of the funnel
- Place funnel over hot grease and remove your finger. Make your desired design by moving the funnel around. I usually make circles and then make lines over the circles.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes per side or until lightly golden, flip and cook that side for about a minute. (the last side will cook faster than the first)
- When the funnel cake is ready remove it from the oil with tongs/spatula and place on a plate of paper towels to drain. Serve HOT! Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!!
- Funnel: Use a funnel with at least a dime size opening or larger. If the funnel opening is too small your funnel cake will be thin and crispy instead of thick and fluffy. I sometimes just pour it right from the bowl. It doesn’t look as pretty but it makes it nice and fluffy.
- The Oil-Make sure your oil is hot, but not too hot. To test your oil, drop a teaspoon of batter into the oil. If it cooks evenly & steady the oil is just right. If it starts to brown instantly the oil is too hot and if the oils don’t bubble up then the oil is too cold. If the oil is not hot enough you will have one greasy, disgusting funnel cake on your hands.