I so love the idea of serving dessert in edible chocolate bowls and I also love that they are so easy to make. Who knew! I saw this demonstration on Martha Stewart and filed it away in my “Neat Things To Try…One Day”.
That day finally came when I was snowed in and just happened to have chocolate chips and well..balloons.
Now I keep them neatly stacked between parchment paper in the freezer for Friday night family desserts. They really go over well with people who have never had an edible chocolate bowl before. I must say they look downright elegant when paired up with white chocolate mousse topped with fresh berries, powdered sugar and plated on drizzled raspberry sauce.
Make them any size you like by adjusting the width of the balloon. These bowl are pretty thin, but if you want them to be thicker just double dip them once the first layer has dried. I like them thin since a thick piece of chocolate and be a bit much with an already sweet dessert.
You can drizzle the bowls with white chocolate for a decorative look. Fill with ice cream, mousse, fruits, or whatever else you can think of that would go great with chocolate.
|The perfect way to serve up ice cream!|
|Melted chocolate ready for the balloons!|
|I never thought I’d be “cooking” with balloons.|
|The making of an edible chocolate bowl|
|They don’t always come out this flawless.|
Edible Chocolate Bowls
By Divas Can Cook
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or any chocolate of your choice)
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
- 4 balloons
- ) Blow up balloons to the size of oranges.
- ) Add chopped chocolate and shortening into a bowl.
- ) Microwave for 40 second or until chocolate has melted to achieve perfect consistency.
- ) Letthechocolatecooloff.
- ) Dip the bottom of the balloon into the chocolate. Use a twist and dip motion to create
- ) Place on a wax paper and and freeze.
- ) When frozen gently remove from wax paper.
- ) Poke a small hole in the top of the balloon and let the air gently seep out.
- ) Carefully pull the balloon from the walls of the chocolate bowl.
- ) If the bottom of the bowls have holes in them fill them in with melted chocolate and
- ) Fill the bowls with ice cream, fruit, or a dessert of your choice and enjoy!