Ahhh the good old fashioned rolled sugar cookie. Easy. Simple. What priceless memories are made of. Let me just say, I’m not really a fan of sugar cookies. I want to love them but no matter what recipe I try or whatever bakery I get them from they are just “ok”.
I’m not sure if anybody is crazy about them because it seems whenever I ask people if they like sugar cookies I generally get something along the lines of “aaahh….ummm….they’re ok…not my favorite though”
So is there anyone out there that really really really LOVE sugar cookies besides the kids?? I’d love to meet you!! I do enjoy the homemade kind that is crisp & chewy around the edges and soft in the middle (I’ll be listing that recipe this week)
I will admit this, they are a heck of a lot of fun to make and decorate. The holidays just wouldn’t be the same without them and because of that I roll up my sleeves, prop my little one at the table and join in on the American holiday tradition of baking up sugar cookies.
I’ve made several batches of sugar cookies with my son and this is the homemade, easy recipe that we both give two thumbs up! The dough is super easy to work with and the cookies have a yummy sugary, buttery, vanilla-ry taste. Firm to the touch and soft to the bite, perfect for little hands to decorate! I also love how the dough only puffs up a little and so the cookie cutter shape pretty much remains.
Quick Story: When I told my husband I was going to start testing out sugar cookie recipes he sulked and said ” uggggggh, I don’t like sugar cookies, make chocolate chip cookies” Well when he came home the next day something told me to look in his lunch bag. I look in there and find a whole bag of sugar cookies! Not just one yall, he took a whole damn sandwich bag full! I called him out and he just smiled and said “well…those taste different” lol
This is definitely the recipe I’ll be going to whenever I decide to make and decorate cookies with my baby in the future. Matter of fact, I’m thinking of going right into that kitchen and eating one right now. Who cares if I’ve already eaten six of them today. I never said I didn’t like them ; )
Easy Sugar Cookies Recipe (rolled version) ~Homemade~
By Divas Can Cook
- 1½ cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup real butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar or flour (for rolling)
- In a bowl add flour, salt, baking soda & baking powder. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, sugar, vanilla & egg. Mix until creamy.
- Gradually add flour mixture into sugar mixture. Use a spoon or rubber spatula to mix together. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees & line some cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Remove bowl from the refrigerator. Sprinkle powdered sugar on the table or cutting board.
- Gather dough into a ball. The dough will be hard &
- crumbly but the more you work with it, the heat from your hands will help it warm up fast. I kneaded it on the table and it took about 2 minutes before it was soft and ready for
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on the rolling pin and roll the dough to about ¼ inch thick.
- Place your cookie cutters into the dough to cut out the shape. I always wiggle the cookie cutters around once I've put them into the dough just to kinda separate the shape from the dough.
- Use a spatula to carefully lift the cookies and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. The dough scraps can be re-rolled to make more cookies.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes until lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove cookies from oven & let them sit in the pan for 5 minutes. Cookies will not look done when you take them out of the oven but will firm up as they cool. When cookies have firmed, place them on cooling racks to finish cooling.