This is such a great marinara sauce for so many reasons. Shall I list?
- It’s so quick to make.
- It’s so easy.
- The ingredients are super simple.
- Once you make it, it’s ready to serve and full of flavor.
- Everybody loves it and can’t tell (or cares) that it’s made with canned tomatoes.
I keep telling myself that I’m going to make a few jars of this stuff but I never do it. Just like I never stock my freezer anymore with homemade pizzas and skillets meals even though I swear I’m gonna get all organized. Ugggh my procrastination is awful!
Anyway, I’ll get back to that later, now back to this amazing, easy marina sauce recipe. It’s good. Make it. And make lots of things to go with it like breadsticks, toasted ravioli, and I recently discovered that buffalo wings taste pretty darn good with it too. Whodathunkit! Something about that slight sweetness of the sauce and the spiciness from the wings totally works!
Don’t like your marinara sauce chunky? Just run it through the blender until you reach your desired consistency.
Watch me make this easy marinara sauce recipe from start to finish!
Easy Marinara Sauce Recipe -Chunky
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2-1 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves diced
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Brown sugar optional
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Saute' onion, garlic and red pepper flakes until onions are tender.
- Add tomato paste and 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, parsley, oregano, basil and the remaining chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a little brown sugar to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes if needed.
This marinara sauce does not need to sit overnight to be flavorful, but the flavor does get stronger once it's sat in the fridge overnight.
Use fresh tomatoes if you prefer.
Add white or red wine if desired.