“Easy, creamy, homemade macaroni and cheese that kids and adults will both love! Simply throw all the ingredients in a skillet! Simple, quick and wholesome!
As much as I’m a fan of the southern baked style of macaroni and cheese, I’m equally devoted to the creamy, cheesy stove top version.
Matter of fact, I’m pretty sure I like mac n cheese in whatever form is chooses to come in. Sadly, even the deep fried version.
For a while Isaac would only eat the blue box kind. Well hello there childhood! It’s my fault though. As with most kids it was the first mac n cheese he’d ever eaten and therefore NOTHING could rival it.
Can’t blame him too much because gosh I use to love that stuff. Now I can’t handle the taste of the cheese powder. Guess I’m getting old.
I let him make macaroni and cheese for dinner a few years ago and he’s never asked for the blue box version again. Seriously. It’s like he just forgot all about it once he learned how to make his own. Wish everything was that easy.
I’d like to think it’s because this creamy, stove top macaroni and cheese is just as good as the boxed stuff in the store. And it’s a double win because it doesn’t contain all the artificial yellow powdery stuff and other chemicals.
Customize it with your favorite cheeses and you’ll be in heaven! When I make this for myself I ALWAYS go with a blend of smoked cheeses. SOOOO good but for the boys we stick to sharp cheddar and mild white cheddar or Monterey jack.
Ethan likes it with Horizons organic american cheese slices.
I love that this macaroni and cheese can all be thrown in one skillet and cooks up super quick. It also doesn’t contain eggs like many homemade stove top mac n cheese recipes.
Watch me make this easy macaroni and cheese from start to finish!
easy macaroni and cheese
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 5 oz evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup whole milk divided
- 3 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter optional
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese can use more, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups mild white cheddar cheese can use more, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- salt & pepper
- In a large deep skillet, add water, chicken broth, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of whole milk, and elbow macaroni.
- Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. (Watch carefully it will overflow if you let it boil to rapidly)
- Cook until al dente while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes until some of the liquid has absorbed.
- Stir in butter if using.
- Add the cheeses a little at a time while stirring.
- Add in enough of remaining milk to create a creamy sauce. (You can place the pot back on the heat on low if you need more heat to melt the cheese)
- Stir in smoked paprika and ground mustard.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- (To reheat, place in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in a little milk to make it creamy and microwave until warm)