Easy Lemon Loaf Cake
How To Make Easy Lemon Loaf Cake
Easy lemon loaf cake! Soft and fluffy! Made from scratch and drizzled with a buttery lemon glaze!”
Visual learner? Watch me make this easy lemon loaf cake from start to finish!
Video coming this evening!
When life hands you lemons, make something boozy or bake something sweet! Well, with the way 2020 is going down, heck, make both! Just make both!
Saying “what a week!” would be an understatement. The mental exhaustion is real! How are you guys doing with EVERYTHING going on in the world right now? I hope you are taking some time to unplug for a moment, recharge, and giving yourself extra love and grace.
Last week I decided to unplug for a day. Yep, I just pressed pause on the world or at least my access to it. I had so many emotions firing on all cylinders from anger, fear, confusion, sadness, anxiety, you name it! Unplugging was just what I needed. I spent the day listening to positive teachings, outdoors with my boys, gardening, pampering myself, meditating, reading, lounging out on my back porch, and baking.
Let me tell you, this day was NEEDED!! I “reentered” into the world with a new mindset. My emotional cup was full, and I was able to give back to the world in a more productive way.
If you’re feeling drained/numb/mentally exhausted from all that is going on right now, try unplugging for a bit. Walk away from the tv & social media to repair yourself and then jump back in to help and not just absorb all the chaos. Being proactive is what helps soothes the soul. It gives you a dose of power when everything around you is in turmoil.
And when all else fails, just put on some comfy pj’s, stay in bed, watch funny movies and eat cake!
Bring on the lemons!!!
Did you know that the scent of lemons create feelings of happiness? The scent evokes emotions of a clean, fresh start which is why it’s the scent of choice for cleaning products. Aromatherapist often recommend lemon oil to ease depression, and anxiety. So make sure you take plenty of deep inhales of this amazing aromatherapy while you’re making this lemon loaf cake!
I’ve walked by lemon loaf cakes at Starbucks so many times and keep meaning to buy one.
It must be good, considering there are so many “Like Starbuck’s Lemon Loaf Cake” recipes out there! Maybe I’ll try it next week! But honestly, it’s tough to believe anything could taste better than this homemade, easy lemon loaf cake I’m about to share with you right now!
This cake is the bombness, so soft and velvety! It’s hard to resist a slice of this gorgeous yellow beauty. Perfectly glazed with lemon glaze and sprinkled with lots of fresh lemon zest. It’s naturally full of tangy lemon flavor.
I ended up making two of these easy lemon loaf cakes in one day! I knew if anyone came over, I’d have to share it and I wasn’t in the mood to share “my” lemon loaf cake. However, lemon loaf cake deserves to be shared and gifted. They make people happy and we all cold use a little sunshine right now. Make one for yourself and then make one for a lemon lover that you love. They’ll be so grateful you did! Well, not unless they’re on a diet, but seriously, whose actually dieting right now? Pshhhh diet shmiet!
Eat the cake…you know, for the aromatherapy.
Get the Recipe: Easy Lemon Loaf Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened , (1 stick)
- ¼ cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, (see note)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 8-10 drops yellow food coloring, (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼-½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Lemon zest, (to garnish the top)
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together granulate sugar with butter and butter-flavored shortening.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- Stir in lemon extract, vanilla extract, lemon zest and sour cream.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, while alternating with the lemon juice and milk. (Batter should be fluffy and no streaks of flour remaining)
- Batter will be pale yellow. On low speed mix, add in the enough yellow food coloring to achieve your desired shade. (if desired)
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Shake and tap the pan on the counter to release any air bubbles and level out the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes (check on it at the 1 hour mark. (Glass pans will cook a bit faster)
- Remove from oven and let cool (Keep in mind, cake will continue to cook as it cool)
Prepare the glaze
- In a large bowl stir together powder sugar, butter, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Mix until it is silky enough to drizzle. Add a bit of water to thin it out if needed.
- Once cake is cooled, drizzle glaze over the top of the cake and garnish with lemon zest.
- Allow the glaze to harden before slicing.
Can I sub lemon yogurt for the sour cream like in your bomb pound cake?
Yes you can!
Love this recipe, cake was perfect but I had extra batter and made cupcakes. I followed recipe so why did I have too much batter for my 9×5 loaf pan?
Love this recipe. The glaze was perfect. I made small mini loaves and swirled some mixed berry sauce in each one before baking.
Your lemon pound cake is perfection. Seriously, perfection.