If I’m not making my potato salad with a homemade sauce then this is the recipe I use. Although some would consider this potato salad to be “homemade” since well…I made it! But around here a true southern homemade potato salad better not even have a drop of mayo in it.
Watch me make this easy potato salad from start to finish!
**update* I’ve started making this potato salad using half Dukes mayo & half Helmans mayo. I really LOVE the two of these mayo’s combined. I also omit the sugar and celery seed. I add in celery flakes instead and then sprinkle paprika & celery flakes on top for a more festive look. I also cube the potatoes really small now.
Easy, Creamy Potato Salad
By Divas Can Cook
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 5 eggs
- ⅓ of a white onion
- ¾-1 cup of Mayo (I always use Dukes)
- ¼ cup sweet relish
- ¼ cup dill relish
- 1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon white sugar (optional to balance out the salt) 2-4 dashes seasoning salt + more if desired
- 2-4 dashes of black pepper
- Paprika (to cover the top)
- Wash, peel and dice potatoes into small, uniform cubes.
- Bring a saucepan half-full of water to a boil and add potatoes. Cook for 7-8 minutes until firm to the touch but tender to the bite. Do NOT overcook. Potatoes will need to be firm enough to withstand being tossed around when we add the mayo mixture.
- In a separate pot, bring 5 eggs to a boil and cook until done.
- Drain hot potatoes and place in a large bowl.
- Peel the eggs. Separate the yolks from the egg white.
- Mash up the yolks in a bowl and dice up the egg whites in a separate bowl.
- Place the potatoes, eggs whites, yolks, and onions in the refrigerator to until cold.
- In a large bowl add egg yolks, egg whites and the onion.
- Next add in the mayonnaise, dill relish & sweet relish.
- Add in the mustard, seasoning salt, black pepper, celery seed, Worcestershire sauce and sugar.
- Stir it all up.
- Taste. Now it's time to adjust the seasonings to your liking. I always add in a bit more of everything. Taste it after each addition until it taste perfect!