My mother use to make these Easter basket cupcakes every single year when I was in elementary school. Right around spring time the teachers would start hinting around to see if she was gonna make them that year lol
I love how down right adorable they are and better yet, how freakin easy it is to whip them up from scratch.
Of course you can use a box cake mix, but really, why use a box when this homemade vanilla cupcake recipe is so quick and delish. Just toss everything into a bowl and mix! Yep, it’s that easy!
The cupcakes bake up super moist & soft from that sour cream added into the batter. The light hint of almond extract goes so well with the coconut “grass” topping and of course the butter flavored crisco and mexican vanilla gives them a classic buttery vanilla flavor.
|Cute Easter Basket Cupcakes Ready For Gift Giving|
Vanilla Almond Cupcakes (makes 12 cupcakes)
For frosting: Mix ingredients together in a bowl on medium speed until creamy. You may need to add a few more drops of milk if the frosting is too thick, but be careful, it doesn’t take much milk to make the frosting runny.
Watch me make these Easter Basket Cupcake from start to finish!
Easter Basket Cupcakes
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: cupcakes, dessert
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1¼ tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup butter flavored shortening
- ½ cup half n half
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ -1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Liquid green food coloring egg-shaped candy (ex. jelly beans) Small chocolate bunnies or Peeps
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 Tablespoons butter, softened Few drops of vanilla extract 2-3 tsp of half-n-half or milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- ) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- ) Add in shortening, half n half, sour cream, egg, almond extract and vanilla extract.
- ) Mix on medium speed until well combined.
- ) Pour the batter into the cupcake liners. Fill each liner 3⁄4 full.
- ) Bake for about 20 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- ) Remove from pan and place on a cooling wrack until cooled.
- ) Add shredded coconut into a bowl.
- ) Mix in green food coloring until you get a grass shade of green
- Prepare frosting by mixing all the frosting ingredients until creamy. Add green food coloring if desired.
- Frost the cupcakes lightly.
- ) Sprinkle on the coconut.
- ) Place 3 egg-shaped candies in the middle of the cupcake.
- ) Press a chocolate bunny into the cupcake so that it stands up.
- )Use foil paper to create a handle for the “basket” and insert both ends down into the sides
- of the cupcake.
- ) Wrap the cupcake in clear cellophane and tie with streamers or ribbons.