I’ve received a lot of requests for crispy oven baked fries lately. I guess some of yall are trying to give up those addictive, mystery fast food crack fries. I’m right there with ya because I absolutely LOVE Bojangles fries! Something about dipping those salty, spicy seasoned fries into cold ketchup is close to heaven to me.
You’ll love this recipe for oven baked fries. Everyone that tastes them loves them no matter if they are seasoned with cajun spices or just sprinkle with salt. They bake up crisp on the outside and hot and tender on the inside. And boy oh boy are they spicy and well seasoned, just the way I like’em!! (I make a few unseasoned on the side for Isaac) Give me a side of chili sauce or ketchup and I’m a happy girl.
I don’t miss the taste of fast food fries at all. So when the craving for the Golden Arches come knocking on the gates of your soul just head into the kitchen and whip these babies right on up. They’re healthier and taste much better than anything you can get from fast food joints.
Super big props to Cooks Illustrated for such an amazing baked fries technique!!! Letting them soak in water and covering with foil in the beginning really helped crisp them up.
Watch me make these crispy cajun oven baked fries from start to finish
Crispy Cajun Oven Baked Fries
By Divas Can Cook (Monique)
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons canola or olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- dash of turmeric
- onion powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 475
- Wash potatoes
- Slice potatoes into strips.
- Cover with hot water and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the cajun blend by combining all spices in a bowl, set aside.
- Drain potatoes and dry them off thoroughly.
- Brush a baking pan with 3 tablespoons of oil and sprinkle pan with ⅓ of the cajun seasoning.
- Toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle lightly with seasoning.
- Place the potatoes on the pan in a single layer.
- Cover with foil and bake 5 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.
- Flip potatoes and continue baking until crisp and golden, about 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the rest of the cajun seasoning.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.