“Creamy sausage & vegetable potato soup! Comforting and full of flavor”
Visual learner? Watch me make this creamy sausage & vegetable potato soup from start to finish!
Every Fall my family and I (including the in-laws) go camping for a week. It’s something we’ve done for over 16 years, and now that I have kids it makes it even funner (that’s so a word so don’t even).
I’m always trying to think of little traditions to sprinkle in for my boys. There’s the nightly smores bonfires, Fall crafts, hiking scavenger hunts, tent building and of course, the “camping soup”!
I always make a big ol pot of some kind of soup when we’re camping. We just got back a couple of weeks ago from our camping trip and the soup I made this year was this creamy sausage and vegetable potato soup!
They loved it! Well, all but Ethan who surprisingly isn’t a fan of anything potato other than french fries all of sudden. This soup is so simple ya’ll. It comes together really fast and is downright comforting. I love that I don’t have to pull out any spices other than salt and pepper.
Yes, really. As much as I love spices, I can appreciate not having to pack them for camping. The savory sausage, chicken broth, fresh onions, garlic, and cream cheese does all the work in creating one tasty, hearty soup!
Pair this creamy sausage and vegetable potato soup up with some toasted french bread, and you’ve got something going on honey! Perfect meal for a Fall evening!
creamy sausage & vegetable potato soup
- 2 large russet baked potatoes 2 lbs, cooked *
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onions diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 8 oz. ground turkey breakfast sausage cooked and drained
- salt & pepper
- Carefully, scoop out the flesh of the freshly cooked potatoes into a large bowl (Having hot potatoes helps with the next step)
- Cut cream cheese into small pieces and gradually add them into the potatoes, while stirring and mashing until creamy. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Add onions and saute until tender.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Carefully stir in the potato mixture.
- Use a potato masher to further mash up the potatoes (leaving a few small chunks of potato is fine)
- Add in mixed vegetable and cooked sausage.
- Simmer until vegetables are heated through.
- Taste soup and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot.
- Garnish with cheese, bacon or chives.