“Crispy, flavorful county fried buttermilk chicken tenders! Rustic and full of down-home goodness! Easy to make recipe and very versatile”
Watch me make these country fried chicken tenders from start to finish!
On the rare occasions that I ate out growing up my go-to order was always chicken tenders and fries! I didn’t stray away from this safe option until I was doing my college internship and the doctor of the practice took everyone out to eat. Everyone was ordering steak and lobster and when I said “I’ll have chicken tenders and fries” you would have thought I stole something from Jesus on the cross!
That’s when the office manager said “Monique, girl the doctor is paying for it! Get something you wouldn’t normally think of getting!” That was when I order my first HUGE restaurant New York strip steak! It was heavenly! I’ve ventured all over the menu now but truth be told, sometimes a girl just wants chicken tenders, what’s so freakin wrong with that!
But not just any kind of chicken tenders, I’m talking about those down south, country fried buttermilk chicken tenders! The kind that fried up rustic (these aren’t winning any beauty contests), crunchy, and full of so much flavor you don’t even need to dip them.
These are the chicken tenders I’m talking about right here! Yesterday they were all I could think about, so I made up a batch just for me!
My boys aren’t a fan of these chicken tenders. They prefer when I make this recipe or my other recipe I have coming up. It’s probably my fault though. I’ve resorted to the mass-produced, perfectly pretty, golden chicken tenders way too many times. Now they don’t appreciate the beauty and flavor of meaty chicken tenders cooked in a cast iron skillet. I’VE FAILED THEM AS A MOTHER!!!
Oh well, can’t win’em all I suppose. If you are ever craving those down home chicken tenders then these guys are for you. I can eat them plain or smother them in gravy with a side of mashed potatoes and sweet peas!! Oh and a glass of icey sweet tea to wash it all down! Yessss that is my kind of comfort meal.
These country fried chicken tenders are super versatile. If you have a favorite spice mixture use it! I’m always changing up the spices here. Sometimes I just go with good ol salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Country Fried Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
- 1.5 pound chicken tenderloins or chicken breast cut into strips across the grain
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup onions sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder optional
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- In a large bowl combine buttermilk, salt, garlic and onion. (can also add in red pepper or hot sauce!)
- Submerged chicken into mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Stir in remaining spices (feel free to cut back on the spices by half if you don't like extra seasoned chicken. I always taste my flour to make sure it's seasoned well.)
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, letting most but not all of the excess buttermilk drip off.
- Place the chicken into the flour mixture and with the other hand, coat the chicken completely with the flour.
- Place coated chicken on a plate and continue until all the chicken is coated heavily with flour.
- Let the chicken rest until the flour looks as though it is getting absorbed (very important to prevent the coating for sliding off)
- When it's time to fry the chicken, heat oil in a cast iron skillet. The oil is hot enough when a leftover clump of flour fries gently.
- Gently lower the tenders into the hot oil a few at a time. The oil should be steady with lots of calm bubbles. It should not be sputtering, smoking or popping out of the pan. Reduce the heat if needed.
- Cook until underside is golden and then flip and continue cooking until that side is golden and crispy. (Cooking times will vary based on thickness.)
- Remove from oil and let drain on a plate lined with paper towels or a cooking rack.
- Serve hot!