If anything in life belongs together is Chipotle and Lime. I don’t know why I love this couple so much but they totally work! Throw in some cool, creamy avocado and I could weep. Beautiful!! I guess that’s why I love this chipolte lime chicken drumettes with avocado sauce so much. You could totally use chicken wings as well.
They just look so fabulous and irresitable arrange on a platter, don’t you think? I could never pass up trying one if saw them at a party.
The chipotle chicken drumettes are spicy, smokey, salty with a very faint hint of sweet. They taste GREAT by themselves (the way my hubby prefers them) but pair them up with a cool, light and fresh tasting avocado sauce and YES!! They somehow become, dare I say, elegant.
The avocado sauce cools down the spice of the drumettes beautifully, but it’s totally optional. Hubby thinks the sauce cools down the drumettes a little too much and takes away from their “kick”. Pshhh!!!! That’s because he totally dunked them in the stuff. And besides, you really have to act a little bougie when you’re eating these drummettes.: Hold the drumette with your pinky finger extended and then tap, tap, tap lightly into the sauce. Proceed by letting your teeth sink into the chicken ever so gently. Repeat.
Watch me make these chipotle lime chicken drummettes w/ avocado sauce from start to finish!
Chipotle Lime Chicken Drumettes w/ Avacado Sauce
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: appetizer
- 20 fresh chicken drumettes or wings
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- CHIPOTLE SEASONING RUB
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder (can more if desired)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay w/ Blackening seasoning (optional, but yum!)
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder (add more if you like heat)
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- (can also add a bit of dried cilantro if desired)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro, garnish
- AVOCADO SAUCE
- 1 avocado
- 5 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brush wings with mayonnaise.
- Mix together chipotle seasoning spices.
- Sprinkle spice mixture generously over chicken. Use your hands to really work the spices into the chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Arrange chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet brushed lightly with oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Drain off the juice.
- Return chicken to oven and broil to crisp up the skin. Watch carefully, this only takes a few minutes.
- Arrange chicken on a platter and garnish with fresh cut cilantro and the juice of 1 fresh lime.
- Make the avocado sauce by pureeing avocado and sour cream. Add in cilantro, garlic and enough water to thin it out (if desire) Puree until smooth. Stir in lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.