The weather has been soaring in the high 70’s and I’ve been soaking it all up by playing outside all day long. I love breezy, warm weather especially when the bugs aren’t out in full force yet.
One thing I can really appreciate during pretty weather is an easy, quick, and delicious dinner recipe that gets me in and out of the kitchen in 30 minutes flat.
Chicken taco salad to the rescue!!! It’s been a long time since I’ve made chicken taco salad so I thought I’d put it the monthly dinner rotation. It was a hit and made great soft shell tacos and mexican tortilla pizzas the day after.
Watch me make this chicken taco salad from start to finish!
Chicken Taco Salad Recipe
- 3 large chicken breast cubed
- 3/4 cup red onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- TACO SPICE
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sea salt
- Tortilla chips
- Colby-Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- lettuce shredded
- tomatoes diced
- black olives
- sour cream
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add red onions, garlic and chicken.
- Cook until chicken is almost cooke through.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Mix together taco spice seasoning and add this to the chicken mixture.
- Stir to combine. Add a little water if needed.
- Continue cooking chicken until cooked all the way through.
- Adjust seasoning if needed, but be careful not to add to much salt since the toppings have plenty of salt.
- Remove chicken mixture from heat when done.
- Prepare the toppings.
- Assemble the taco salad by add lettuce,tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips, chicken, salsa, sour cream, cheese and black olives.
Feel free to substitute with other meats like ground chicken, beef, or turkey.
I sometimes use corn chips in place of tortilla chips. Very yummy!