“Cheesy, creamy chicken spaghetti is so quick and easy! Made with fresh ingredients!”
How To Make Chicken Spaghetti
Visual learner? Watch me make this chicken spaghetti from start to finish!
My sisters get on my nerves sometimes! : ) We were chatting in messenger a few weeks ago, and they were talking about all the stuff they had planted in their gardens. Collards, sweet potatoes, sweet peas, strawberries watermelon, herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, spinach, and even a few blackberries and blueberry bushes, to name a few. Show offs!!
I didn’t even mention the lil raggedy tomato plants I had clinging to life on my back porch. Our convo left me inspired more than ever to start a beautiful, edible landscaped backyard. I’ve always wanted to walk out into my back yard surrounded with deliciousness. I want berry bushes, fruit trees, nut trees, vegetables, fruits, and herbs! Everything! I was so excited, I created an entire blueprint and got to work.
This week we put in our tomato and corn plants. It was a family affair, and we all got out there in the dirt and had a blast.
UNTIL…..I started making holes in my abandoned garden bed for the tomatoes.
Wait, let me just take a moment and gather myself before I tell this story. I’m having flashbacks. *deep breaths*
Ok, so I’m digging holes right…and then I see them. Snakes!! Yes, SNAKES!! LOTS AND LOTS of baby garden snakes! Yall they were jumping out of the freakin dirt! What kind of sci-fi mess!
My boys and husband were unbothered, but it was a wrap for me. Peace out, good day, good riddance, Shalom, and arrivederci !! Screw a garden! Them snakes can have that entire back yard.
What does this have to do with chicken spaghetti?
Well, I’ll tell ya! I marched right on inside, and made this fantastic dinner! Yes, this is my domain. The kitchen is where I come alive. I’m not a gardener but I can throw together a quick and easy meal! Maybe I can convince my husband to build me a greenhouse. Maybe bug/snake free gardening is more my speed.
My guys didn’t care about me abandoning ship once they came inside to this hearty, cheesy, chicken spaghetti, garden salad, fresh garlic bread, and ice-cold sweet tea!! It’s been years since I’ve made chicken spaghetti, and this was the perfect ending to a long, hot day of gardening.
What I Love About This Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- It’s easy! Seriously, you could have this meal on the table in under 30 minutes!
- It’s versatile. I can think of hundreds of ways to tweak this chicken spaghetti from using different cheeses and various vegetables. When I’m in a hurry or don’t have all of my usual vegetables , I use broccoli. The boys love it!
- Its; a crowd-pleaser. Simple pasta dishes like this are always a family favorite. I mean, who doesn’t love cheesy pasta??! No like seriously, who?
Tips for making the BEST Chicken Spaghetti
- Season the chicken generously! You can get away with using only salt (or seasoning salt) and black pepper here. Just make sure you season it very well. For additional seasoning, use Italian seasoning, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Cook your chicken in stainless steel or cast iron pan. I always forget to do this, but when I remember, mercy it’s good. I love that slight crispiness that it gives the chicken.
- Use a variety of FRESH GRATED cheeses. Chicken Spaghetti is a great dish to use up that almost gone cheese. If you only want to use one cheese, make it sharp cheddar. Smoke cheeses are also amazing in this!
- Add some garnishes! Fresh tomatoes are incredible in this! So is bacon, green onion, fresh basil & parsley, and fresh Parmesan cheese.
- SEASON, SEASON, SEASON! You HAVE to season the finished dish! Seriously, you HAVE to do this! Once you’ve added all the ingredients, taste, and season the finished dish to bring out all the flavors. I always add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Can you bake chicken spaghetti in the oven?
You sure can! Once you have it all put together in the skillet. Place it in a grease casserole dish, and sprinkle the top with additional cheese. Bake until the cheese has melted for a chicken spaghetti casserole.
Can I replace the vegetable in chicken spaghetti?
Yup! This dish is very versatile. The chicken can be replaced with any meat like steak, ham, or bacon, and the veggies can be replaced sweet peas, broccoli, or your favorites.
I hope you guys enjoy this meal as much as we do, and while you’re at it, go ahead and add this baked spaghetti pie to the dinner list!
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- 2 cups seasoned chicken breast chopped & cooked (see note)
- 8 oz spaghetti cooked al dente according to packaged
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter chopped
- ⅔ cups red bell pepper, diced (about ½ red bell pepper)
- ⅔ cup celery, finely diced (about 3 celery sticks)
- ⅔ cup white onion, diced (about ½ small onion)
- 2-3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (can use a variety of cheeses)
- salt, black pepper, garlic powder & onion powder to season
- diced fresh tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese (optional but so good!)
- fresh parsley
- In a large deep skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add red bell pepper, celery and onions and cook until tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. (to cook out the raw flour taste. Add more butter if needed)
- Pour in chicken broth and continue simmering for 2 minutes.
- Pour in heavy cream.
- Add Italian seasoning, basil and parsley.
- Stir in diced tomatoes.
- Simmer sauce for 10 minutes.
- Add in cooked chicken and cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Add al dente pasta and toss to coat.
- Taste and season generously with sea salt (or seasoning salt), black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to bring out the flavors of the fresh ingredients.
- Plate and garnish with fresh tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and parsely. If desired.