I love zucchini prepared just about any kind of way. My favorite way is simple and easy; lightly steamed with a bit of salt and pepper. We eat A LOT of zucchini in the summertime here, it seems people with gardens are practically throwing it at you just to get rid of it.
I’ve made zucchini bread, sweet veggie muffins, zucchini, squash and tomato side dish, and even some zesty zucchini fries. I was really starting to get tired of all the zucchini but didn’t want to waste the few I had left over. It was a oddly cloudy and breezy and that put me in the mood for something comforting and cheesy.
This cheesy zucchini bake hit the nail right on the head! Tender, seasoned zucchini, tossed with onions and garlic and topped with cheeses, bread crumbs and crunchy bacon. Yes please!!! It made such a great side dish with the bbq grilled chicken.
Cheesy Zucchini Bake
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: Side Dish, Zucchini
- 4 zucchini (can use a mixture of squash and zucchini)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ¼ small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, optional
- ½ cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup mixed cheese, shredded (I used mozzarella, smoked gouda & cheddar)
- 1-2 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 5 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (I used turkey bacon)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Slice zucchini into ½ inch thick circles and then cut the circles in half.
- Place zucchini in a large bowl and add in the onions and garlic.
- And in the oregano, sharp cheddar cheese, and season it with salt and pepper, if using.
- Spray a 9 x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add zucchini mixture and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with mixed cheeses.
- In a small bowl stir melted butter into bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over the top of cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on more cheese if desired.
- Continue baking for another 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender, yet firm.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with bacon.
- Serve immediately.