Totally random but do you ever hear a word and a certain image instantly comes to mind? Well everytime I hear the word cornbread I automatically see the cover image of the movie “Cornbread, Earl and Me?” Ever seen that movie? It’s a classic!
Anyway, back to this cast iron skillet cornbread recipe. It’s the bomb.com. Go make it. Tis all.
Ha! Yall already know I can’t stop there without explaining just how amazing this cornbread bakes up.
If you’re looking for a rare, fluffy-style skillet cornbread recipe then this one is it! The outside “crust” is rustic, buttery, slightly crisp and just melts in your mouth.
The inside you ask? Oh it’s soft and moist and has the perfect amount of sweetness to satisfy people who prefer sweet or unsweetened cornbread, which is me and my husband. I prefer unsweetend, he has to have sweetened. I’m beginning to question his southern upbringing.
Now this is a cast iron recipe so if you go baking it in a glass dish you will get a whole other animal. Yes, it will still be good, but you just can’t replicate that rugged beauty of the crust and tender crumb of cornbread cooked in cast iron. Nope. Impossible!
This is one of my favorite cornbread recipes. Like most skillet cornbread recipes, it’s easy, basic, and quick.
You can omit the sugar or even add more. Feeling flavorful? Ok well go ahead and throw in some corn, green onions, peppers and cheese. Or if my son had his say, he’d tell you to throw in some hot dog slices and some honey and make corn dog bread.
NOTE* This particular skillet cornbread recipe bakes up slightly fluffy compared to traditional southern skillet cornbread recipes. If you prefer your cornbread dense and a tad dry (the best kind for sopping up juices) then stay tuned because I got one of those cornbread recipes coming up!!!!
Watch me make this cast iron skillet cornbread from start to finish!
Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread Recipe -Fluffy Style
By DIvas Can Cook (Monique)
- 1 ½ cup White Lilly all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pure yellow corn meal (not the mix)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cup sugar *optional*
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon butter-flavored shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter or bacon fat (for skillet)
- Add butter to 9 inch cast iron skillet and place into the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients
- Make a well in the center of the bowl.
- Pour in the wet ingredients
- Stir just until combined.
- When oven is preheated, remove skillet (be careful it will be VERY hot).
- Pour batter into skillet.
- Use spatula to smooth the cornbread and shake the skillet to even out the batter. I like the top be a lil rugged looking, but you can smooth it out completely if you want.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges.