I heart this buttermilk brine SO FREAKIN MUCH!!! If you have never brined whole chicken or turkey before then trust me, you will want to start.
Buttermilk Chicken Turkey Brine Recipe
- for 5 lb. bird (double the recipe as needed)
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons KOSHER salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- Step 1.) Combine all ingredients and stir to combine.
- Step 2.) Place bird in a brining bag and pour in the brine.
- Step 3.) Tie the bag, removing all air. The brine should completely surround and cover the bird.
- Step 4.) Brine for 8 to 12 hours.
- Step 5.) Thoroughly rinse off the brine and pat the bird dry. The bird is now ready to be seasoned and cooked.
*I like to stuff my chicken & turkey with chopped green apples, onions and garlic. It adds moisture and a hint of great flavor.(discard after roasting)
* Follow the directions on your bird for cooking. Remember that the bird will continue to cook when removed from the oven so keep that in mind.
*Allow the bird to rest for a few minutes before carving to let all the juices settle.
*I always roast my bird, breast side down.
*I usually broil my bird for a few minutes before it's done to create a crunchy-like skin.
*Basting really isn't needed but sometimes I pour a few cups of chicken broth in the bottom of the roasting pan to baste my bird with. And it makes a flavorful gravy.
* I ALWAYS butter my chicken generously under and on top of the skin before roasting. And sprinkle with desired seasonings.