Blueberry Muffin Cookies
Visual learner? Watch me make these blueberry muffin cookies from start to finish!
(video coming this evening!)
With the start of Spring, it is officially BRUNCH SEASON! Yep, time to bring on Mother’s Day brunch, baby and bridal shower brunches, graduation brunches, and the works!
I’m reeeeeally starting to get into brunches! They start at the perfect time to allow you to sleep in a little, you get the best breakfast, lunch & dessert foods, and there’s booze before 5, well hello there, mimosas! What’s not to love? Brunches are the jam!
Today I’ve got the perfect brunch (Spring/Summer) cookie for ya: Blueberry Muffin Cookies!!!
These little cookies are like eating muffin tops, which is the best part of a blueberry muffin IMO. You can absolutely get all fancy and sprinkle this streusel topping before baking and then glaze them with this glaze for the ultimate blueberry muffin experience.
However, I think they are simply divine kept super simple! Those fresh blueberries really get a chance to shine!
I love watching people try these cookies for the first time because there is always a, “wow, it really is a blueberry muffin cookie.”
What do these blueberry muffin cookies taste like?
These blueberry muffin cookies are sweetened just right (just like a blueberry muffin) and the tart blueberries compliment it so well. They are so fluffy, tender, with a buttery flavor. I bet you can’t eat just one!
What’s the secret to making these blueberry muffin cookies so amazeballs? Cream cheese!!! I put cream cheese in my regular blueberry muffins one day and never looked back! Cream cheese makes the crumb so moist and tender. I’m convinced it’s the secret ingredient that bakery’s use to get those perfectly textured blueberry muffins!
Ingredients for blueberry muffin cookies
These cookies are so quick and easy. They don’t require any unique ingredients at all, which I love! It’s pretty much the same ingredients that are in blueberry muffins!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Unsalted Butter
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh blueberries
- lemon zest, optional
Tips on making the BEST blueberry muffin cookies
- Fold the blueberries in VERY carefully. Use a very gentle and light hand to fold in those blueberries. The dough is thick, and the blueberries and delicate. You want to avoid breaking them open, or it will tint your dough and weird grayish color if you break open to many of them.
- Make them look prettier! Sometimes when I scoop out the dough, I’ll notice that particular scoop is lacking in the blueberry department. So I’ll push a couple blueberries into the dough. These cookies always come out the prettiest!
How to make Blueberry Muffin Cookies
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, cream together butter & cream cheese.
- Mix in sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon zest if using.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Very carefully fold in blueberries.
- Drop by the heaping tablespoon onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
How to store blueberry muffin cookies?
These cookies are great right out of the oven but even better the next day! Keep them soft by storing them in layers between parchment paper in an airtight container.
Got a lot of blueberries? Check out these recipes that use fresh blueberries!
Can I use other fruits and berries?
I’ve never made this particular cookie using anything other than blueberries. I’m only assuming when I tell you that strawberries and peaches would probably be fantastic in this! Just use a light hand when folding them in. Trust, I’ll definitely get around to testing these out with EVERYTHING because it’s such a simple and delicious base.
Old-Fashioned Blueberry Pie
Get the Recipe: Blueberry Muffin Cookies
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- 1-1½ cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese.
- Mix in sugar, just until combined. (see note)
- Mix in egg, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Very carefully fold in blueberries, being careful not to break them open.
- Drop dough by the heaping tablespoon full on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes on the middle rack. (Check on them at the 11 minute mark. See note.)
- Let cookies rest on pan for 1 minute before moving to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from OMG Chocolate Desserts