” A recipe for light crispy beer battered fish and zesty french fries that will satisfy the pickiest eaters. Pair with homemade tarter sauce and ketchup! Easy & delicious!”
Can I just start by saying please excuse the blurry photos in this post. My hard drive decided to die on me and take ALL my photos with it. Yep. Thousands of photos. Gone. I had to extract these images from the video. I’m so glad you guys could not hear the words that came out of my mouth. So unlady-like. I don’t want to think about it. Let’s carry on. Shall we?
I can’t even tell you the last time I made beer battered fish and chips. We just don’t fry foods in this house very often but when we do….have mercy….I have to admit, it’s divine!!
Why does perfectly fried foods have to taste so daggum good y’all??
This beer battered fish has that tender, crispy, light crunch and the inside is so moist and flaky! My gawd! I held this entire batch of fish hostage and ate all of them but two. No will power. Oh well.
I got this batter from food.com back in 2008 when it was called recipezaar or something like that. The moment I saw there was egg whites in the batter I knew it had to be a hit.
Eggs whites create such a lightness in batters and I loooooove me some melt-in-your-mouth crispy fish.
Use whatever beer you have on hand. I think you’re suppose to use a dark, dry beer.
Homemade tarter sauce and ketchup is a MUST! I had the nerve to try to cheat and use the bottled kind and never again. I posted this recipe on my blog a looong time ago for homemade tarter sauce and I quickly whipped up a batch to go with these fish n chips. It’s really good!
Watch me make this Beer Battered Fish & Chips from start to finish!
Beer Battered Fish & Chips
By Divas Can Cook
- BEER BATTERED FISH
- 2 lbs cod, thawed, pat dry
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 cup P.A.N white cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon blackened cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white, beaten until stiff
- ½ cup beer
- oil for frying
- FRIES RECIPE
- 2 russet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt and white cornmeal.
- Mix in garlic powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, and blackened cajun seasoning.
- Stir in melted butter, beaten egg and stiff egg whites.
- Add in the beer and stir just until combined. Do not over stir.
- Let batter rest covered in a warm place for 1 hour.
- When the hour is up, heat some oil in a deep skillet.
- Cut the potatoes into thin strips.
- Place potatoes into the oil and fry until lightly golden.
- Drain paper towels.
- Immediately sprinkle with french fry seasoning.
- Dip the fish into the batter and let excess drip off.
- Immediately place the fish into the hot oil and fry until deep golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve fish and chip with tarter sauce and ketchup