I wish I was one of those moms who always has a stash of homemade chicken nuggets in the freezer. I’m not. Isaac is very familiar with frozen chicken nuggets and even fast food chicken nuggets (hangs head in shame). Sometimes life just gets soooo busy, ya know? But I took some time this afternoon when I had some unexpected free time (yes those words still exist) to whip up several batches of these downright delicious homemade chicken nuggets and homemade honey mustard dipping sauce. It was a great lunch.*pat myself on the back*
We all love these chicken nuggets in this house and in the video I show you how to make them baked and fried. They taste GREAT both ways. I normally bake them simply because I hate fooling with hot oil and the way it makes my house and clothes smell and oh yeah, it’s not that healthy.
They bake or fry up nice and crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. Bonus: They reheat well in the oven and are kid-approved.
Using crushed seasoned croutons makes for the best chicken nuggets breading and it’s already seasoned.
I always serve these with bbq sauce and homemade honey mustard sauce. Isaac and I are not normally honey mustard fans like my hubby, but this honey mustard recipe is OMG the bombness!! It’ just like TGI Friday’s honey mustard and has this beautiful balanced buttery, creamy, sweet, mustard flavor. Hubby & I agree it’s the best honey mustard we’ve ever had.
Ok enough of me gloating about these homemade chicken nuggets and honey mustard. Go make them. You’ll like them. Off to tackle this never ending pile of laundry now.
Watch me make these homemade chicken nuggets & honey mustard from start to finish!
Baked Chicken Nuggets Recipe + Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: Main
- CHICKEN NUGGETS
- 3 medium-size, boneless chicken breasts (14 oz)
- 5 oz bag Texas Toast seasoned croutons, crushed to fine crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Peanut oil, for frying
- salt and pepper
- HONEY MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup mayonnaise (I used Dukes)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Cut chicken breasts into nugget-size pieces.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dip a chicken piece into the flour and shake of the excess.
- Then dip into the egg and shake off the excess.
- Lay the chicken piece in the crushed crouton mixture and use your other hand to coat the chicken on both sides.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with greased foil (if baking) or place on a plate if frying.
- Repeat with all of the chicken pieces.
- If BAKING: preheat oven to 450.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes on one side. Flip and bake for 1-2 minutes on the other side. (baking times will vary)
- IF FRYING: Heat peanut oil on a skillet. (see notes below)
- Add nuggets to oil and do not crowd. When first side is golden, flip and cook other side until golden brown.
- Place on paper towel to drain.
- Serve with honey mustard dipping sauce.
- To make the honey mustard dipping sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a medium size bowl. Serve warm or cold. Flavors will intensify as it sits. Makes a lot so store leftovers in the fridge.