“Easy moist apple fritter bread recipe with gooey swirls of cinnamon apples and drizzled with glaze”
My husband and I LOOOOOVE anything apple fritterish! After making apple fritter coffee cake and apple fritter bites it was time to tackle ooooh yeaaaaah…. apple fritter bread baby. Bow-chicka-wow wow!!!
We’ve been having a string of wonderful fall-like weather in North Carolina and something about a crisp, breezy day makes me want to clean and BAKE BAKE BAKE!!!
Hubby and I went into the kitchen to test out a few apple fritter bread recipes and we settled on one we found on the bakingchocolatenessta.com!
It’s an amazing recipe but we decided to add in a few tweaks like throwing in some cinnamon apple sauce, increasing the fresh apples, butter, vanilla, baking powder and using some good old fashioned buttermilk.
It was such a fun day of testing out recipes. My husband usually stays away when I’m tweaking recipes but he actually enjoyed pretending to be in America’s Test Kitchen with me.
You guys are going to love how easy this apple fritter bread is and the texture is…epic! It’s sorta dense like a pound cake yet so doggone moist and tender. If you’re the type of person who likes to bake and give away quick breads as gifts this is the one!!!
It’s lightly sweetened (believe it or not) with gooey, sweet apple cinnamon swirls and a crisp apple fritter crust. It’s heavenly good and pairs well with coffee.
This apple fritter bread lasted approximately 18 hours in our house. Not surprising at all really. It will definitely be in my fall & winter baking rotation!
Watch me make this apple fritter bread from start to finished!
Apple Fritter Bread
By Divas Can Cook
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and finely diced (I used granny smith and gala)
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3½ teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, thinly sliced
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream (may need more)
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan. Set aside.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Sprinkle apples with 3 teaspoons of cinnamon sugar mixture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and granulated sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract.
- Fold in applesauce.
- In a separate bowl stir together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to the wet mixture JUST until combined.
- Stir in buttermilk. (Batter will and should be slightly lumpy. Do not over stir)
- Place half of the batter evenly into the loaf pan.
- Spread on half of the apple mixture.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon-sugar mixture over apples evenly just enough to cover. (FYI: You will have plenty of cinnamon-sugar mixture left over. Save it for another loaf)
- Press apples into batter very slightly.
- Lay a few pieces of thinly sliced butter on top.
- Repeat layers. Remember to press the apples gently into the batter very slightly. (Sometimes I like to gently glide a knife down through the batter to blend the layers a bit.)
- Bake on middle rack for 50-60 minutes.
- Let loaf rest in pan for about 15 minutes before removing from pan to let cool off completely on a cooling rack.
- While loaf is cooling combine powdered sugar with heavy cream until it is a glaze consistency.
- Drizzle glaze over completely cooled bread and let the glaze sit to firm up.
- Slice and serve!