“Strawberry shortcake cupcakes! Fluffy, vanilla cupcakes topped with whipped strawberry cream frosting and fresh strawberries! Crowd-pleasing cupcakes!”
Do you remember this 80’s cartoon character?
When I was younger Strawberry Shortcake was my FAVORITE . I just had to have Strawberry Shortcake everything from lunch boxes to birthday parties.
It was pretty safe to say that I was obsessed with my adorable red-hed strawberry shortcake doll that smelled like real strawberries!
When I was unpacking a box of my old childhood belongings I came across my strawberry shortcake jacket that my mom had custom made for me and the next day my husband got me the collectors doll from Target! Talk about a nostalgic week!
I thought I’d keep the strawberry shortcake theme going by making these amazing strawberry shortcake cupcakes!!! These cupcakes are one of my many summer cookout favorites that get requested a lot! I love that they are portable and pack in all the flavors of delicious strawberry shortcake.
This recipe starts with a super yummy vanilla whipped cream cupcake that is just the PERFECT texture for strawberry shortcake!
It’s not as spongy as a sponge cake ( I hate sponge cake) but has a super fluffy and slightly spongey, angel food cake texture to hold up to the cream frosting and fresh strawberries.
The frosting is SO DOGGONE GOOD!!! It’s a cool whip-cream cheese type frosting that I’ve made on this several time. When it’s set, it tastes like strawberry cheesecake.
Top with a fresh strawberry and you have a handheld dessert that goes fast!
Watch me make these strawberry shortcake cupcakes from start to finish!
- VANILLA WHIPPED CREAM CUPCAKES
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- STRAWBERRY CREAM FROSTING
- 8 oz cool whip
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, finely diced
- 24 medium-sized whole strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Spray the liners with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and shortening.
- Mix in sugar until combined.
- Mix in eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Mix in sour cream and heavy whipping cream.
- Gradually mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until completely combined.
- Place about ¼ cup of batter into prepared cupcake pan (or enough until cupcakes are about ¾ full)
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes or until edges are slightly golden. (may need less time, do not over bake)
- Let cupcakes cool in pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Meanwhile make the frosting by creaming together the cream cheese and cool whip.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, if using.
- Gently fold in the diced strawberries.
- Place frosting into a large piping bag with a large circle tip.
- Frost cupcakes and place in fridge until frosting sets (about 30 minutes) (see note)
- Top with whole strawberries.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Want more Strawberry Shortcake ???