“Southern whipped cream cheese pound cake with a moist crumb and old-fashioned flavor”
Visual learner? Watch me make this Southern cream cheese pound cake from start to finish!
I usually prefer my grandma Barb’s cooking over any and everything, even my own. She has this way of working her magic in the kitchen that can only come with a lifetime of from-scratch cooking.
There are a few recipes though where I prefer my own take. One would be this cream cheese pound cake. My grandma Barb’s cream cheese pound cake is still a favorite on this blog, and I make it when I’m craving a taste of home. Hers is made the old-fashioned way, by starting with a cold oven. You can check it out here.
The recipe I prefer uses a few of my favorite ingredients and techniques to create one moist and delicious Southern Whipped Cream Cheese Pound Cake! It has that fluffiness of a whipped cream pound cake and the classic taste of cream cheese pound cake.
It’s amazingly addictive! Be prepared for people to either ask for the recipe or ask you to make it. This whipped cream cheese pound cake was tempting me all night yall! I kept thinking one more lil thin slice wouldn’t hurt. Ughhhh!! Side note: I don’t shame anyone who goes on that show My 600 lb life. Food is freakin incredible! I don’t care what you say!
But yeah, this pound cake had to get up out my house the next day! I sliced up the remaining cake, wrap it up in plastic wrap and shipped it down to my in-laws. Get thee behind me Satan, not today…but maybe this weekend when I make a honeybun cake! Ha!
The secret to this fantastic pound cake is adding in whipped heavy whipping cream to the finished batter. It creates the moistest crumb while still having that signature, dense pound cake texture. This cake is PERFECT for shipping because it stays super moist for days!
As with most pound cakes, it gets better as it sits so make it the day before you want to serve it if you can. By day two the crumb is pure freakin perfection in my opinion.
You can feel free to skip the cream cheese glaze if you want. This whipped cream cheese pound cake it sweet without it but it does make it look prettier and it tastes wonderful! Fill the middle with berries and it’s ready for its closeup!
Southern Whipped Cream Cheese Pound Cake
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: cake
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- ½ cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- CREAM CHEESE GLAZE (optional)
- 1 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a medium-sized bowl and mix until fluffy with stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together shortening, butter and cream cheese.
- Mix in sugar until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix on low or medium after each egg.
- Stir in lemon extract and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk or sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing gently until batter is fluffy.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake on middle rack for 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack until pan is warm enough to touch.
- Remove cake from pan and allow to cool completely.
- Mix together glaze ingredients.
- When cake has cooled drizzle on the glaze.
- Allow the cake to sit uncovered until the glaze has hardened.
- Slice and serve plain or with berries and cream.
As with most pound cakes, the texture and taste is optimal the next day.