Yall…….I am sitting here typing up this post while eating a piece of this sweet potato pie and I am seriously wondering how the heck can a sweet potato taste this freakin good!
I’ve had a TON of homemade sweet potato pies and made plenty of recipes for them. This one is definitely giving those others a run for their money!
This sweet potato pie recipe starts with an easy homemade pie crust that is buttery & flaky.
Then comes those fresh sweet potatoes! Fresh sweet potatoes are a MUST if you want a true, authentic tasting southern sweet potato pie. The kind that makes you take a bite and then just stare at it. Yall know what I’m talking about!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe just as much as I do!
Southern Homemade Sweet Potato Pie Recipe ~ So Easy, So Delicious!
By Divas Can Cook
- The Crust (makes two pie crust)
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1¾ cups butter flavored shortening
- 3 Tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup ice water
- The Sweet Potato Filling
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (2 medium sweet potatoes usually does it. I always have a bit extra left)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoons ginger
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Let's Make The Crust!
- In a bowl add the flour and cut in the shortening, until it
- resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar & the salt.
- Mix the egg up inside the ice cold water. Pour into the crust mixture and stir until combined.
- Turn the crust mixture out onto a floured surface and gather it into a large ball. You may need to kneed it lightly just to get all the dry crumbs to incorporate into a ball.
- Divide the ball into two pieces. (Store the other ball in the refrigerator and use it for another yummy pie in the future!) Step 6) Roll the dough out about ¼ inch thick and then place it into a deep dish pie pan. Press the crust into place with your hands.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. You can brush it with egg whites to get that shiny crust look if you'd like.
- Let's Make the Sweet Potato Pie Filling!
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and fill with water just until it covers them.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 45 -50 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- When done, let cool and then remove the skin. It should peel off very easily.
- Place peeled sweet potatoes in a bowl and break it up with a fork.
- Use a mixer to mix the sweet potatoes until smooth and creamy.
- Add in butter and mix to combine.
- Add in sugars, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and flour. Beat until mixture is smooth. It may be a lil speckled, don't worry it won't be that way when it's done.
- Pour into prepared pie crust and bake for 55-60 minutes. (don't be alarmed if the pie puffs up while cooking. It will sink down)
- Let cool on the counter for about 30 minutes and then chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to fully set.